BC Boards

Does anyone else's BC have an unusually high-pitched bark?

Just wondering if it's only me. When my dog is upset or excited she makes a really high-pitched yelp that sounds like a tiny dog. A few of my neighbors asked if I had a little dog in addition to Maggie because they hear a "little dog" barking sometimes when I'm away. Is it normal for a bark from anxiety or excitement to be extremely high-pitched?

She almost never does a territorial bark, so I don't know if the high-pitched sound is her "normal" bark or if it's just the sound she makes when she's excited or upset.

YES! Murray's excited bark, I think, is the same frequency as a smoke detector. It's the least masculine bark I've ever heard. Heaven forbid you be in a car with him when he sees another dog - he goes NUTS and it's near impossible to get him to stop barking. I have almost driven into a ditch during one of his excited barking moments (that time it was a woodchuck on the shoulder of the road).

I've discovered his excited bark has specific triggers:

1. Guests arriving at the house

2. Other Dogs

3. Furry critters which he does not have access to (our cats, roadkill....)

I try to distract him as best I can in those situations, which usually helps. I'm hoping our new dog (although we've only had the second dog for a month and the new dog is also a barker) helps with the "Other Dogs" trigger.

My dog's only triggers are excitement (e.g. the windshield wipers on my car-- she thinks they're THE BEST!) and separation anxiety (e.g. "Mommy, you're not in my direct line of sight at this very moment and that SCARES ME!"). I've only once or twice heard her bark at another dog or a knock at the door.

My eldest bitch Xena is affectionately known as squeaks because unlike the other 4 she has this high pitched bark and the more exited she gets, the higher the pitch. She sleeps on the front porch, basically under my floor. My room was built over the front porch, living room so it basically makes up the second story. So they kinda sleep under my floor. And when Xena starts up, she doesn't wait until she's left the porch to start barking. She jumps out of bed and starts barking immediately causing human and cats upstairs to practically fall out of bed, because usually it's the middle of the night.