BC Boards

got a plan for Jesse

bcnewe2

Tomorrow morning I'm building her a new pen under the lean to part of the barn. She can see almost everything and I've figured out how to make it as small as I need to keep her quiet. I also have extra round wood posts to help deter her from digging, hopefully. You wouyld think her shoulder would stop her.Gonna have to get some good quiet toys for her.

I'll try for a week and if I see no improvement we're going back to the vet for a better plan. Knowing it will take a lot longer than that. But I should see a tiny bit of improvement. It seems to be worse, understandably so.

I don't know what kind of floor you have in your barn but I used to have a dog that would dig. When we put up his pen we attached chicken wire to the inside dug straight down and then out toward the middle of the pen and covered it up. That way when he dug down he couldn't dig very far and he couldn't get to the edge to go under. Stopped him from digging out.

She is pouting but not running around. Tonight I took everyone out for a last potty run. She didn't even bark, she laid there and looked really sad...

Thanks for all your help Rebecca. I feel we're on the road to Jesse's recovery.

Need more ideas

Jess is doing ok in her kennel or torture palace. I've gotten her good things to keep her occupied. She is an easy keeper as far as that goes. She can see her sheep most of the time, chicken are close so she is good.

She will not go potty in there at all. She gets frantic if she has to go and I'm not there to take her out. First morning I heard her chewing and pulling on the fencing. I knew right away what the problem was. She'd been in there for about 15 hours with no potty.

So I've been taking her out 2 or 3 times a day. There's the issue.

She bounds out. Fighting me tooth and nail about the leash. She mouths it the whole time. She did this as a youngster too. I can tell her no and she spits it out for a minute then right back in her mouth. She gets so upset that she tangles us both up. Then it's even more a mess.

If I let her out without or even with she is jumping around all excited that she is out. I can't let the other dogs out or she is trying to run around to say hi. She wants to RUN everywhere.

So... it'd be better if she just went potty in her kennel and didn't come out at all, that's not going to happen and I'm afraid she will be hurt while freaking out about getting out. If she doesn't have to go she doesn't even dig (so far)

Any ideas?

Could you make a second pen that was the potty pen and take her to it a few times a day for potty under supervision, then right back to her torture palace :) if she has an area she typically potties maybe you could fence in that area for her?

We're getting it. She will be leash trained by the time we're through with this! She knows what's going on. And I can look out the window and actually tell when she has to go potty now! So...now it's just time and patience! But maybe a pen around the pen isn't a bad idea. Just not real practical but neither is she at the moment! ;)

Poor tortured girl!

LGD's are so different than regular dogs, or is it we treat them differently? Nah...I think they are very primal in their instincts!