BC Boards

Future Pup

Since I'm new to the Bc's. With that said yes I have a 17 mo. old pup. In a couple of years I would like to get another and figured I'd start checking things out now. I know some of you are breeders and some are not. But what bloodlines do you prefer and why?

I have learned a lot off of here and would like your input. I won't be using it for herding but would like the herding bloodlines and there are so many out there. Thanks

Depends what traits you value most in a dog. I ended up with one particular line because I really like a biddable dog with heart.

And what line would that be?

I love, love the McCallum lines.

The type of dog you get depends on what you want. I prefer a dog with a strong sense of balance, good power, calm nature on and off stock. And a lot depends on how the dog is raised and trained.

Take time, watch dogs both trained and untrained.

Don't forget health issues. There is an increase in EOD, PDA and other problems such as CHD and just a general lack of ability. Stay away from Kennel Club dogs. While some have direct working ancestors, few of the breeders will adhere to a strict working breeding program. Avoid breeders who tout colours or other traits but solid workability.

I have learned a lot off of here and would like your input. I won't be using it for herding but would like the herding bloodlines and there are so many out there. Thanks

Since you want real "herding" lines and you are starting to search in advance, I would suggest that you attend a sheepdog trial (or more than one!). Watch the dogs, which ones do you like? Find out who the handlers are and talk to them about their dogs. Do they breed? How are their dogs in a house or off of sheep? Are they easy to live with? Etc?

Many times, if you are looking for a particular breeding of top sheepdogs you will need to get on a list for a puppy.

Pam said a lot of good things in just a few sentences.

Vicki's suggestion is also excellent - attend some trials. Watch. Make some contacts (volunteering is an A-one way to do this). Ask questions. See what kind of dogs you like both on and off the trial field. See what kind of handlers are the sort of person you would like to emulate - strong bonds with their dogs, respecting their dogs, handling quietly but firmly, being considerate of dogs and stock.

I don't trial but I do volunteer. I get to know a bit about people and their dogs. If i was wanting a pup or a started/trained dog now, I have a list in my mind of people to ask - either about availability of a pup or dog, future availability of one, or whom they would recommend I contact. These are people I have learned to trust to be honest, responsible, experienced, and trustworthy. It took me longer than I expected to know how to separate the ones that sound good from the ones that are good.

It's hard to say what bloodlines people prefer and why. It's all personal perception. What one person looks for in a spouse is not necessarily what another person would want or appreciate. It's the same with bloodlines.

I realize you asked about bloodlines but I think that it is perhaps most important to find handler and dog teams that exemplify what you want in your dog and its relationship with you. In other words, someone who handles like you would like to handle, and their partner dog that works like you would like a dog to work, and a partnership like you would like to have - that's something that attending trials and observing, and also making contacts, can help you find. That's the sort of person that you might want to ask about future breedings of that particular dog you like.

So, maybe I wasn't clear in that I felt that doing just that (attending trials, observing, making contacts, and asking questions) might satisfy your request but in a different manner from how you asked it.