BC Boards

Weak new born lambs

HI guys, I'm a little new to sheep so if anyone can advise me I'd be very thankfull.

My dad brought the remainder of his sheep flock over to the main farm because theft and predation was getting too much, but now switching from Extensive farming to Intensive farming is throwing proving interesting.

Yesterday late afternoon saw twin lambs being born, a little weak, but we helped them to drink from mom. This am on inspection they are proving to be very weak and cold. We have tubed them and are trying to warn them in front of a heater. We gave them just pure cow's milk in the tube, about 30cc, luke warm, but is there anything we could add to his next "feeding" to help give him a bit of a `"kick start" so to speak?

`one of the lambs have unfortunately already died so we're kind of desperate to save no 2.

You might try the Edgefield sheep forum for detailed sheep care advice. It's just a simple 'bulletin board' format and it's usually quick to load. You can read the information there without joining, but you can't put in your own information without becoming a member.

There was recently an excellent, in-depth discussion of methods of saving lambs in the condition you describe, but you may have to search a little. I think it would be in the section labeled "Breeding and Lambing."

The host site is: http://edgefieldsheep.com

Perhaps this link to the Breeding and Lambing section will work: http://edgefieldsheep.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=4

Here's the best way to search the Edgefield site:

You can search for any string on this site using Google by simply starting your search string with "site:edgefieldsheep.com"

Good luck.

Liz S in foul fetid fuming humid hot central New York State USA

The problem is the lambs must have colostrum within a few hours of birth or a window closes for this absorbtion of antibodies which they cannot get in any other way. I always save colostrum from my oldest best ewes and does and cows for emergancies. And If I had none, maybe call a neighbor?

Hi everyone, Thanks for replying. Unfortunately both lambs died the same day and another orphaned lamb two days later. This lamb was already quite big and strong, but her momma had died a few days before from unknown causes. We unfortunately did not know at the time which lamb was hers and so couldn't jump right in and help the lamb by giving her extra milk.

Nutridrench is ufortunately not widely available in South Africa, actually not sure if we can get it at all. I've been looking for it for some time for my goats. I now have a system of injections given to me by the vet that helps to prevent problems come kidding time, but you still get the odd weakling being born.

Can anybody tell me which do you consider better, lambing in a kraal (sort of like a shed, but with only part of it under a roof and walls made of stone) or in the veld if that's an option. Dad is now seriously condidering lambing the sheep out in their camp, but we are a little scared of Jackalls catching our lambs. Their camo is quite near the house, so we don't get lots of jackall this close, but the camp does go back away from the house quite a bit in an area where Jackall are known to roam. So we're scared that the smells of newborn lambs might start attracting them.

Thanks for the tip about the sheep forum, going to go check it out right away.

I have a friend in South Africa that has used Anotolian lgd for chettahs. Anyway the biggest problem with sheep is parasite load. Check their inner eyelids, should be salmon pink- very pink- if pale or white you have a serious worm load.

We don't have a LGD, yet. I've been thinking about that option for a while now. Only two problems; apart that is from getting a puppy from good working lines, I don't want to settle for just any byb puppy. 1/) Convincing Dad, he just isn't sold on the whole idea of a lgd. I on the other hand think it might be the answer to my prayers.

Problem no 2 is: we have both sheep and goats and they don't share a camp, one set has lambs you want protected, the other kids. The goats normally have the run of the farm, would a lgd be able to go with them everywhere? Will (s)he be able to go through or under fences along with the goats? Or do you get two dogs, one for the sheep and one for the goats, but won't they want to "stick together"?

I know very little about lgd's, so if anybody can tell me some more I'd be very thankfull.