BC Boards

How often do you give breaks?

In highly stimulating environments like obedience and agility classes, how often do you take a break with your dog(s)? I started an advanced obedience class with Link and notice that despite still wanting to work there comes a certain point where I can just tell his brain is starting to fry a little. He won't stop by himself, I've never met a dog with a strong a desire to please as him, so I initiate short breaks usually every 15-20 minutes. I'm curious to know if other people find this helpful as well. I'm guessing as class goes on he'll need less frequent breaks, but he always works better after one.

Our puppy classes were designed around the idea that puppies can only concentrate for a few minutes at a time. We worked on something, then sat in a circle and talked about things to try at home, then worked a little more, then sat and talked about behavior issues and different approaches to dealing with them, then worked more.

I noticed that for Micah, basic obedience was a thing for about 40 minutes, then he was done. That lasted a few weeks then suddenly he could handle the whole class. I brought him to agility a couple months ago and he was TOTALLY overwhelmed. Last week, I took him again and he tried almost everything.

Gideon was never like that.

Our trainer (novice level 12months) had a hard timeout every 15 minutes for a 2 minute breather. It was a godsend to the dogs and guardians. Ness had a pretty low excitability threshold back then, so going outside to pee or sniff really brought her back from jupiter or wherever she was.

-Rich

There are breaks built into the first level of classes where I train. Beyond that, it is up to the handler to determine when breaks are needed.

Back when I started with Maddie, she apparently felt there were not enough breaks and she would lie down on the floor in the middle of class and take a power nap! It was very funny. After a while she didn't need to do it anymore.

Basically, my answer is, as often as is needed for the dog.

Training breaks should be more often and longer for younger dogs or for dogs learning something totally new (i.e. if you start agility after doing obedience for months). I believe that breaks should happen BEFORE the dog starts to turn off, be distracted or gets that glazed look in the eye. If your dog doesn't want to keep working with you (assuming he doesn't have any issues going on), then think about reducing the work time. He should be "Mom, don't stop. This is fun."

When you take a break, don't disconnect from your dog. Play with him or let him check out smells, etc., but don't just let him stay at the end of the leash, forgotten, while you talk with another handler.

Jovi