BC Boards

Getting Started

Hello,

I am considering obedience (or another discipline) as a competitive sport/hobby for my young daughter. We have a loving BC that she could start with.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to which disciplines (sorry, I only know equestrian terminology) are good for youngsters or which organizations offer information?

I am looking for a discipline that involves traveling to competitions and making friends, but is not cutthroat. I would also prefer a discipline where any judging is based on the child/dog relationship or performance rather than the dog's confirmation.

Finally, if anyone can recommend a trainer or training organization, we live near Orlando.

Thank you!!

One way would be to attend some local performance shows and talk to the people there and see what she likes best.

First she will need to train her dog in the basics and a local obedience dog club, that you can find in the yellow pages, is the place for that.

Once there, she will learn of all different kinds of fun activities in your area and can choose the one that has the most kids.

4H is also very active in some areas and she could start there too. Ask your court house for the county agent for your area.

For some shows to attend, try www.onofrio.com

That is a superintendent of shows in many areas. I don't know if in your area too but they will refer you to the one in your area if they are not active there.

I would not consider conformation in itself as that is for breeders only and very restricted.

Better stick to performance shows like obedience and agility and such.

Several agility organizations have Junior Handlers programs. Adults tend to be VERY supportive of kids doing this, so your daughter would have good role models and if she's lucky, a few other kids to work with. The nice thing about agility is: you're only competing (for qualifying rounds and titles) against a standard, not necessarily against other dogs. (OK, for placements, there is that option, but to "Q" is plenty satisfying enough. There tend to not be a huge number of junior handlers, and sometimes clubs will offer placements separately for them!)

Try the agility links we post here a lot: www.usdaa.com

and www.nadac.com

Hope she finds something fun and satisfying!

diane

[This message has been edited by diane allen (edited 08-20-2002).]

[This message has been edited by diane allen (edited 08-20-2002).]