BC Boards

Agility ewuipment sources?

Sorry I don't know the area....but mine has nothing either! So - I've made a BUNCH of equipment, and it works just fine (perhaps not competition strength or standards, but certainly great for training - and some variation is good!).

USDAA has a booklet (about $6 I think) with construction plans - most of this stuff is big and heavy, but for things like dog walk or teeter, quite useful. Check www.usdaa.com.

You can also search various web sites for homemade plans - I have lots made out of PVC, which is light, cheap, easy to cut and easy to move! Single, double and triple jumps; jump wings (PVC frame with plastic lattice wing, or even an old T-shirt!); tire holder base; table base; there's even a teeter base plan! Also check out www.cleanrun.com for some plans.

Another possible source (I haven't looked in awhile) is www.dogpatch.com. Go to the agility link and search from there.

Unless you're a club and planning to use the equipment for big training classes, or for competition, I think buying jumps is a waste of money! [if you can get someone to cut 1" PVC end caps into quarters for the jump bar holders, the rest is a piece of cake.]

Maybe someone else will have other ideas...

diane

[This message has been edited by diane allen (edited 07-05-2002).]

Pam-

There is a list on the yahoo groups that is stickly devoted to agility equipment. It is Agility-Products-Equipment@yahoogroups.com You can join this group and gets lots of information on equipment.

Some web sites that have been mentioned there are:

www.max200.com www.dog-dreams.com www.AgilityForLess.com http://www.dog-play.com/agility www.starsandstripesagility.com www.starfleetagility.com www.tuffmutt.com

Good luck. I probably have some more web sites but would need to do some more digging. Let me know if you want any more.

------------------

Kathy Flynn, CVT

Sogn Valley Farm and Border Collies

Cannon Falls, MN

507-263-4767

Pam I have instructions to make your own, less than $50.00 to make it all. Would not hold up to being used for bunches of dogs, but for back yard training it works great. I would be willing to fax or mail you copies. The only thing I do not have is the Teeter instructions.

Tracy Email me if interested stkranch@aol.com

Pam,in MO.,there is a company called "The Agility Connection" and their website is www.theagilityconnection.com

I found them this weekend at our 4 day trial with a huge display set up.Some stuff you can make on your own for practice but it also helps going to a school to learn handling tricks,teaching left/right and body language unless you already know the ins and outs to that.Learning the obstacles is one thing-handling/manuevering is the big thing.But you probably know all that.I,myself,like the outside training advice because my trainer has 4 Border Collies(does herding,agility and flyball) and can read my dogs personalities when working to know why they are being a twit that night.

The equipment can be pricey and yes I made my own teetertawter,aframe and dogwalk from stuff around here and made it lower then specifications to ease them into it and let puppies try it too.Weave poles?-I got a half of dozen orange construction cones and line them up.DogWalk?-two planks on each side setting ontop a large dogkennel.Aframe I found two bunkbed frames and nailed up in shape of aframe(that can be seen on main website page 3 with pups running up/down).

Sue Barta

Thanks, a friend and I are sharing equiptment so it won't be that big an expense for either. We have been going to a local trainer and are disappointed at the lack of training. Not that this person isn't good, but I guess we need to be told WHY something is done in a certain way. Have recently started with another trainer (much farther, but great at explaining) and I can see how we can fix some of the problems caused by a poor start. In defense of the trainer, guess when you have 2 professional trainers in your class it can be intimidating. And actually, I am finding the handling quite easy. Unlike sheep, the jumps etc DON'T move ! (VBG)

Pam

It's wonderful when you have a good trainer.I've even experienced this in Obedience where some trainers don't click with me.They think all Border Collies should be high strung and act like mine are weird because they are so calm.Even at agility trials I have people comment at how calm mine behave.I personally like the outside help and tips from tons on the egroups with helpful advice.Agility to some looks easy but getting a Q isn't once you start trialing.And then you get some dogs who go through stages and you are always learning new ways of training.Our latest trick was learning the command left or right for a jump and small accomplishments are wonderful to see.And it's like herding-which I know nothing about-teach in small steps,know how your body controls the dog,read their mind and react and most important"Have fun".I learned alot too going to trials and watching others and what they say for commands and why.And if I run into a situation(like this weekend) I go to egroups for Nadac agility or Novice and get tons of tips from those who have been there,done that.Agility easy-you'll find out.But a blast for you and the dog.And yes-we have serious herding folks here who do it as a fun past time.

Sue Barta