BC Boards

Dexter's weaves

Very nice! I'm curious, will you try to teach a single step weave? I sort of lucked into a single step with my Aussie, but she's not as fast a BC through the weaves.

Single stepping is harder on the shoulders and isn't necessarily faster than 2 footing.

But I have noticed over the years that dogs will sometimes 2 foot if they aren't sure of the surface. If they are given a surface with a good grip they will often revert to single stepping if that has been the action they are more comfortablke with.

It's noticable here in the UK when dogs go to their first indoor winter show after being on grass all summer. Indoors we don't use synthetic surfaces but even when switching from grass to sand or similar it can take some dogs a couple of runs to adjust.

I'm not sure if the fact that your weaves are flexible rather than rigid has any effect on the dog's action through them as far as footing is concerned.

AAh yes. But, the weaves are one of the obstacles where you CAN catch up with a speedy boy.

You should train him to keep weaving regardless of if you are behind him, by his side or if you pass him while he is weaving. Also, lateral distance from the weaves is another great skill to have. Then there are the rear crosses and front crosses. And the different approaches. And my fave, lying on my side as I command my boy to weave (note: not used in competition :) )

So many variations on the weave poles.

Jovi