BC Boards

trainer

SS Cressa

I might be going back to MT for the summer break (May-Aug). That is around the time I was hoping to start seeing if Valek (my pup) is interested in working livestock. He will be 7 months In May.

I was just curious if anyone knows a good instructor out that way? I will be in eastern MT. Close to the ND border. I am about 6 hours north of WY.

Would like to keep working with Cressa also.

I work in a shop out in eastern MT located in a cattle ranch. Not sure if that matters or not. The owner has given me permission to work his cattle if I want.

I don't know anyone out that way to make any sort of recommendation but I would give a word (or few) of caution about working someone's cattle.

First, what are the cattle like? Cows with calves? Steers on pasture or feedlot? Are they fairly docile or rather flighty? Are they used to being handled a lot or are they range cattle? Cattle are cattle, but just like dogs are dogs, there can be a world of difference between different groups of cattle due to differences in breeds, age/gender/reproductive status, and environmental/handling situations.

Second, are the cattle dog-broke (or accustomed to being worked with a dog)? If they are not, will you be planning on dog-breaking them (or teaching them how to respond to the pressure a dog would put on them)? There are right ways and wrong ways to dog-break cattle. And, since both you and your dog are novices, this could pose problems (and see #3).

Third, what is your experience with cattle, or how well do *you* understand how cattle think and react? Are you prepared to understand the livestock yourself before you ever expect your dog to be able to cope with them under your direction?

Perhaps you have already covered all these and other relevant issues but if you haven't, I think they bear some serious thought before you consider working your novice dog on cattle. I would be much more likely to use a young/novice/less-experienced dog on sheep than cattle, but that would depend on the livestock as much as on the handler and the dog.

Many dogs find some cattle to be easier than working some sheep, as cattle often have a more placid, relaxed attitude towards the dog - after all, the "threat" that a dog poses to a sheep is much greater than that which is posed to a 500-1500# (or more) bovine. On the other hand, aggressive or defensive cattle can pose a much greater threat to a dog than a typical sheep would.

Best wishes in finding a good situation to learn with your dogs out there!

This last time there was no calves. I am not sure if he will have calves if I go back out again.

They are very flighty. At least that is what it seem like to me. They were in feed pens for winter but generally they are on the range/pasture/fields.

I have had to help move them. Or to help worm them. That was used with just people. But outside that. Not experience with any livestock.

As to dog broke. Not that I know of. He has two dogs. One helps keeps the coyotes away. Generally if their dogs chase the cattle they get "lead poisoning".

:) it was just an offer. There seem that not many ranchers in that area use dogs to work cattle. Nor is there many sheep since sheep prices are so low. Those that had sheep sold their stock off.

As I said in a different thread. This last time Cressa got to help round up some young cattle that were for market. She did great with them. Was gonna see if anyone local has cattle we can train with.

The cattle were Angus but if there is a special variety of Angus. I don't know what type they were. He was just like they are Angus.

Well, I may be a wet blanket but it sounds to me that with your lack of experience and your dog's lack of experience, you might be better off working on other things rather than trying to mess with the cattle. There is a lot of potential for something going wrong.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope it works out well for you.

I'm afraid I'm going to echo Sue. If you're not used to working cows and your dog is new to cows, and these cattle are not worked by dogs ... don't go there. It only takes one kick to turn your dog off on working for you, forever. I only say this because a friend of mine had a very nice little bitch, but he got her in a tight place, she got kicked hard enough to hurt - and she would never go near a cow for him again. Ever.

And those were just dead-gentle black Angus pasture cows, not range cattle.

Please be careful. A pup is not going to think about his own safety and you don't want to jeopardize your future with him.

~ Gloria

Check the USBCHA website - look for upcoming (and past) trials in or near that area and try contacting the trial host to ask for possible contacts, recommendations, or trials in your area. Also try contacting the directors who cover that area (which includes Wyoming and Colorado, I believe) and ask them for that information. That might give you a start.

If you don't find anyone suitable, you might just have to wait for when you are back home and can resume training with your current or another qualified handler. Aren't you in NJ? There are good people in NJ and neighboring states.

PS - Don't bother Googling "Montana sheepdog training" because you'll get nothing but junk as far as I was willing to look.

Oh, don't ask me why I thought it was New Jersey. I thought you were there, in college.

I'm not really familiar with anyone located real close to Erie. Joyce Geier is up near Mendon NY. That's not very far. There may also be some folks over towards Ithaca area. The only folks I've heard of in northeast OH are not someone I'd recommend but I'm not really familiar with that area in terms of handlers/trainers.

I recommended those directors because I thought you said Montana would be your summer job area.