BC Boards

Reduced Fat Peanut Butter

Gary_and_Karen

Can any of those knowledgeable about ingredients tell me if the ingredients listed below are safe for dogs.

Walmart Great Value brand: Reduced Fat Creamy Peanut Butter Spread, 18 Oz

Ingredients:

Roasted Peanuts, Corn Syrup Solids, Soy Protein, Sugar, Contains 2% Or Less Of Molasses, Salt, Fully Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils (Rapeseed, Cottonseed, Soybean), Folic Acid, Niacinamide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Copper Sulfate, Ferric Orthophosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Zinc Oxide.

Allergy warning: contains peanuts and soy, may contain traces of milk, eggs, anchovies, and wheat.

(we had been using regular peanut butter but we thought it might be better to use a reduced fat version since she eats peanut butter every day)

FWIW, I have several dogs on multiple meds and I use regular peanut butter to get their pills into them, twice a day. No one is gaining weight, even though at least one of the dogs gets a pretty good amount of pb because of all the pills she takes. By good amount a mean half a teaspoon or a little more (I don't measure it, just use one of the smaller spoons from a table setting).

J.

FWIW, I have several dogs on multiple meds and I use regular peanut butter to get their pills into them, twice a day. No one is gaining weight, even though at least one of the dogs gets a pretty good amount of pb because of all the pills she takes. By good amount a mean half a teaspoon or a little more (I don't measure it, just use one of the smaller spoons from a table setting).

J.

Thanks, but my wife already bought a jar today of the reduced fat and I wanted to be sure the ingredients listed were safe for dogs before I would try giving any to our puppy.

The ingredients might be safe, I don't know enough to say yes or no. BUT, the calories are probably pretty near the regular peanut butter. They add a lot of sugar to keep the flavor, as oil/fat molecules carry it. So, if you reduce the oil/fat in a food, you reduce the flavor.

Check the amount of calories per serving. With most low fat food, they add so much sugar, and/or salt, that the calorie count is very close. It's not worth the extra money you pay, IMO.

ruth

The ingredients might be safe, I don't know enough to say yes or no. BUT, the calories are probably pretty near the regular peanut butter. They add a lot of sugar to keep the flavor, as oil/fat molecules carry it. So, if you reduce the oil/fat in a food, you reduce the flavor.

Check the amount of calories per serving. With most low fat food, they add so much sugar, and/or salt, that the calorie count is very close. It's not worth the extra money you pay, IMO.

ruth

Thanks, I read the following on a blog:

copied from a blog -

Dr. Oz showed reduced fat peanut butter to illustrate the point. Traditional, full-fat, peanut butter has 190 calories for 2 tablespoon. The reduced-fat peanut butter that Dr. Oz looked at also had 190 calories for 2 tablespoons.

The same number of calories but not the same ingredients.

The reduced-fat peanut butter contained twice as many carbohydrates as the traditional it also contained, according to Dr. Oz, chemicals and hydrogenated oils, a.k.a. trans fat.

The manufacturer, said Dr. Oz, fooled around with the food.

Dr. Oz pointed out that the reduced-fat peanut butter no longer provides the heart healthy benefits of the traditional peanut butter.

(end of copy)

I took the unopened reduced fat version back this morning and got the regular version after reading that.

I prefer peanut butter that only has 1-4 ingredients myself. Peanuts and maybe salt, sugar and palm oil. Skippy Natural, Adam's, JIF Natural....they're all good. I'd rather spend a dollar or two more and skip all the junk chemicals and unnecessary, potential;y bad for you (and your dogs) ingredients.

I prefer peanut butter that only has 1-4 ingredients myself. Peanuts and maybe salt, sugar and palm oil. Skippy Natural, Adam's, JIF Natural....they're all good. I'd rather spend a dollar or two more and skip all the junk chemicals and unnecessary, potential;y bad for you (and your dogs) ingredients.

I agree, the more pure and natural the better !