BC Boards

A Buddy Breakthrough

So, most folks here have heard me go on (at too much length, I'm sure) about my reactive dog, Buddy. When I first got him, he couldn't be near any dogs, because he was so stressed out and would just go ballistic - snarling, flipping, and pinning them.

Over the years he's made good progress and has a pool of dogs he's fine with. My sister's old dog - Buddy's calm companion for many years of walks - died suddenly in the summer of 2011, and my sister got not one but TWO puppies to replace her. Well, it's been a long road. At first, Buddy would snarl at them if they even looked at him through the fence. It was a long time before they could be off-leash together, and even that caused a snarl-and-flip incident with the pushy one (Yuki, who looooooves Buddy). Since then, little Miss Pushy has kept herself at least 3 feet from Buddy, acknowledging his ultimate grouchiness while still pining after him from afar.

Yesterday, we took all 3 dogs to an open field. It was cold, and the pups were playful. Buddy was cheerful and gave me the look he gives when he wants to play crazy. So, I darted and whirled with him a bit, then sent him out in the field, where he engaged Yuki in a few moments of unbridled frolicksomeness. He chased her and play-bowed and scampered around.

Everyone was very happy, but Yuki was the happiest. :)

Mary

Awwwwwww From one grouchy dog owner to the next...AWWWWW don't it feel good.

As Mick has aged he has mellowed a bit. I'm still careful but not near like I used to be. Pity the ill-mannered dog that gets in his face still, but it's not like it used to be, which sounded much like your Buddy. Body slam, pinning and just horrible, even though he has yet to draw blood on anyone or anything it's horrid sounding and very intimidating to any dog or dog owner feeling his wrath.

He HATES puppies, All of the little stinking things, just keep them out of his area. Or else.... BUT, over the years Dew won him over. They were best buds. playing consisted of tons of rules but she abided by every one he could throw at her.

In walks Lil Miss Faye! Loves Mick just like your sister's dog. Pines from a distance cause she has felt the wrath.

But Dew and Faye became fast friends. Playing hours away, who needs all those strange Mick rules. I could see Mick wanting to join in but Faye was scarred of him and Dew loves her Faye so Mick was on the out!

I had Dew spayed last summer, ended fixed Mick's love affair with his sister.

Now....Faye comes into her first heat. Mick can't figure things out but he knows it's not his love/playmate Dew. (remember he's fixed but no one bothered to tell him that) So after Faye almost finished her heat cycle, Mick has decided she's not so bad and even offered to play a bit with her. Faye is still scared to death of him but I can see she's thinking things might be changing.

We won't ever tell Mick that he's fixed. Dew says no one will be Mick's new love if it's not her. So....the story goes on...Lovestory of Mick the Jerk (or Dick as we like to say!)

Best part is...he's not such a jerk anymore. Niccccceeeee!

Congrats on Buddy! It really does feel nice doesn't it?! Strange dogs indeed!