BC Boards

My baby grows up!

So lately when I walk the dogs Faye runs around looking for sheep. It's not even a walk, it's a hunt for sheep. But, I think she's a bit young to actually do more then check where she's at on sheep, not ready for training pressure but I can see she's ready for sheep pressure so no sheep for Faye for now.

Last nights walk, she finally finds sheep in the dry lot by the house. She is running the fenceline a bit but then finds a way under it! Darn, I'm halfway up the hill and I have to hike down to get her off. So bout halfway there I holler, knock it off Faye (she was rodeoing them and it's to hot for any of that) she hears me...HEARS ME! hunkers down and goes to work! Getting on the backside moving them a bit. By now I made it to the gate. I say quietly, Lie Down Faye, she does and I'm able to walk up to her collect her up, tell her she's a wonderful sheep dog and off we go! Darn, again we get a little into our walk and she's back in there. Now I'm Crabby cause I'm hot but my fault for having a weak fence so I can't let her see crabby. Same thing is repeated she does a bit more serious puppy work and that ended our evening walk!

Today I have to go get new flea meds and dog food. I take Faye and Dew. Faye is usually puking car sick, but today she happily jumps in the car with Dew, no puke, goes in the store (last time she could hardly make it past the sliding doors) cruises the aisles with me even greets a few people with Dew. OK, last store, I need a cart to haul dog food. Lets see how she does. Great, doesn't even notice the cart!

So all grown up ready for life! Pressure from me on sheep, good, pressure on car sick, gone, pressure on meeting big bad strangers and strange places all gone! Life is good today!

Still pretty hot to put her on sheep and I still want to give her more time to mature into pressure but boy what a few months will do! She's gonna be a sheep dog yet!

IF I didn't mention before I've been worried about her inability to take pressure and her timidness to strangers and strange places. And hated to take her places cause I was having to clean up puke each time she went in the car! Whoosh....no more worries!