BC Boards

Old BC Print

My wife and I purchased this print at a local antique store back in the early 80's. The dealer knew nothing about it's history and all we could tell was that judging by the old frame that was coming apart at the seams and the old glass with bubbles, waves other imperfections in it, it was old. Luckily the print itself was in very good condition. So to save the print from being damage by the old frame we had it preservation frame and have been enjoying the picture for over 30 years now.

We are hoping here at the forum some of you might be able to help or at least give us direction to find out more on the history of this print. Any help would be very much appreciated.

7484727270_dafdf55d01.jpg

Carole Presberg from the online Border Collie Museum:

http://www.gis.net/~shepdog/BC_Museum/index.html

Her e-mail address is: shepdog@gis.net

All the best,

jeanne

Julie... I will be happy to share what we learn from Carole. She has been nice enough to reply to my e-mails already and she thinks that she has seen this print before and was looking in her museum information for more on it. I will post anything as soon as we find out.

Randy

crap my picture is way to big to take off the wall, I'll snap a pic this evening so you can actually see it. The glare is bad so it won't show how beautiful it is.

Do a search of the artist and you might find that print.

I did a quick search and can't find your picture but I've never been able to find the litho that I have either. Mine is signed and numbered.

Beautiful picture who ever it is.

We really enjoyed looking as Mr. Faquharson's body of work Kristen and we are now looking forward to your seeing your picture. We did not come across our print in our searches and we are not enough of an art critic to know if it could fit his style or not. Also thank you for the compliment on the picture and to geonni banner for the link.

Randy

Found this poking around on e-bay this evening. They are asking $50.00 for it.

"This very old print was donated to a local Christian charity and I am listing it for them. Age is unknown but I think its maybe 1800s? The print itself is on a thick type of paper, only has color in two places - on the shepherd and in the sky its a bluish....the rest is sort of a greyish black and light tan colors.

Condition is ok for age I guess - its got a water spot on lower left corner and at least a dozen creases come down from the top edge. No signature or manufacturer that I can see. I have not taken this picture out due to its age and fragile nature so I don't know if it has anything printed on the back of it.

It measures roughly 9" x 11" and the frame is 11" x 13". Its under glass.

There is a LOT of age grime to the cardboard backing. Hardwood frame appears to be very old too.

Please ask your questions and take a good look at the photos BEFORE you bid. Thanks for looking."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-art-print-sheep-herder-border-collie-very-old-Scotland-historical-/290698734659?pt=Art_Prints&hash=item43aefeac43

post-10533-042301000 1341461750_thumb.jpg

post-10533-002991500 1341461775_thumb.jpg

Crap I forgot to snap a pic of my picture last night. Have to do it this evening. Now that I can see the pic up close (thanks Geoinni) It doesn't really look like a Faquharson but it it beautiful all the same!

I'll try to remember to post a pic after work tonight.

Great find geonni. Looks to be the same print with the differences in print size, ours is roughly 16x19 the e-bay one is roughly 9x11. Also the bluish color of the shepherd and sky is not found on our print. What is better shown on the e-bay print is the actual color of both of our prints which is "greyish black and light tan colors".

Thank you for your efforts in finding and posting the information on this print.

Randy

New and better picture as far as the color goes. Still a little light and washed-out because of having to use a flash.

7509359198_4cd8724a37.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just a bump with the latest info on this thread. I never did hear back from Carole with the Border Collie Museum. So it's history is still a mystery.

Hopefully someday we will find out more of the print's history.

Randy

I've got an almost identical one that is quite a bit smaller I've had for years. found it in an antique shop about 30 years ago.

I have another that I found that definitely appears to be a US thpe picture. it looks like CA and has a shepherd leaning against a tree with adog at his feet that appears to be a Border Collie type dog. Whe I saw this one, the price sticker on the glass was covering the dog so I had to ask to have the sticker removed to see if there was a dog.

I can get some but it would take a bit, I'm very busy the next week or so and Hubby is taking the camera on a camping trip. We started searching for prints with Border Collies over 30 years ago and have some very nice ones (and some great newer ones too). One of the coolest in our collection is an old post card that is titled "A craick with the Laird" and shows 2 shepherds surrounded by heather, and a man in a dress kilt chatting. The "Laird" has an early Shetland Sheepdog/collie type dog and the shepherds have Border Collie and a Bearded Collie type dogs by them.

And I checked, my smaller print is a bit different from the one you posted.

Just saw this again...I snapped a phone pic of my big Far. picture here it is.

Well darn can't seem to get it on here. I"ll tr again.

picture.jpg

it's dark but best I can do for some reason. It's a beautiful picture with lots of lights and shadows. It looks as if there's a light on it when it's all in the picture.