BC Boards

Need help with name for new puppy!

I had a list of puppy names, and Hoot was Rook for a day. I know another Rook who was a lovely, regal, composed dog. Hoot was (is!) a squarely goofball, and Rook did not fit him. I have this odd thing for owls, and my partner came up with Hoot, aka The Hootenanny. Fits my gangly, goofy, comedian pup perfectly.

My next pup I'd like to name Tyto. Tyto alba is the Latin name for the Barn Owl, and I think it's a cool word.

As far as horse names being bad: I knew a youth horse named ShezSoEZShezSleez. That was embarrassing to announce. Also, Bug Zapper bred to Eternal Glo produce Zapped By The Glo Bug.

I shouldn't participate in these discussions, because I own a dog that I named Mr. Tricky Woo, and that just ain't right. And no he was not named after the dog in the James Herriot books; he was named after a Canadian rock band (who got THEIR name from the dog in the James Herriot books). When I acquired his brother several years later, I named him TWooie (Mr. Woo's nickname is Wootie, and his brother is just like him except slight rearranged / deranged) which is an anagram of Wootie. They came with the names Ricky and Harley, and that simply would not do as they are not living in a trailer park.

I have _some_ dogs with respectable names - Tweed and Piper, are examples. Spring was named for her enormous capacity for leaping in the air and sunny personality. And I always have one dog named after a tv character I like ... in this case, it's Dexter Morgan. Who often goes by Dex, or Captain D-Mo (or "D to the M to the futhermuckin' O Yeah", a la gangsta rap style, when the mood strikes). And yes he knows ALL his names :)

I would like to one day name a dog Joaquin, and call him Keen for short, but these ideas are often best in my head and don't seem to suit the dog when the chance arises. I have used some of my favourite names on foster dogs and now can't use them again, a lesson I never seem to learn :(

RDM

I'd had a crystal ball and knew that I would one day acquire "Ricky"s brother "Harley" (Tricky Woo predates that movie!) I would have left his name alone and renamed Harley for sure, just so I could have a Ricky Bobby ;-)

RDM

I'm going to name my next small dog something like Mr. Higgins or Prince William Ambrose. Except I used to know this miniature Schnauzer named Mr. Higgins. He humped my arm.

LMAO!!!!

I'm going to name my next small dog something like Mr. Higgins or Prince William Ambrose. Except I used to know this miniature Schnauzer named Mr. Higgins. He humped my arm.

I like one syllable names, though I do have a Pia (albeit most of the time I call her "P"). I usually look at pedigrees and name lists to see if something jumps out. It took a few days for Pia's name to stick, and I think it was three or four days for Linc. Originally I liked Loch or Duff for him (but was afraid it would become Fluff MacDuff).

Anyway, I usually just make a list of names I like, and wait until I have the dog home. Then I choose something else. :lol:

LOL. I have a list.

Next Papillon will be Jello (there's always room for some Jello), next female Border Collie will be Ruby (unless shes red, too obvious), next male Border Collie will be Niobe. I also like Tristan and Mick.