BC Boards

Border Collies and Laser Pointers

I have a kitten who has more "crazy-cat-wildness" than my 6-year-old cat can burn, so I got a bunch of "interactive" toys for him. One of the toys was a laser pointer.

I had been warned about Border Collies finding laser pointers mesmerizing, addictive and a trigger for OCD behavior.

I decided to proceed with caution, and accept that I might only be able to play with the cats and the laser pointer while Sugarfoot was out with the dog walker. I tested it with all 3 animals present. The kitten chased the light spot with wild abandon, but both my dog and my older cat instantly got that the light spot came from the device in my hand and completely lost interest. (Lucky me!)

I wondered what others had to say about their experience with laser pointers and their dogs.

Just FYI, those of you with cats: These toys were happily accepted and played with by my kitten. Just in case any of you have a nut-ball kitten that needs non-destructive exercise.

post-10533-059192100 1336690301_thumb.jpg

post-10533-050973200 1336690441_thumb.jpgThis toy emits a lifelike mouse squeak each time it's touched. Very exciting for Tombo! It' called a "Tethered & Feathered Play Wand."

post-10533-091881100 1336690585_thumb.jpgThis toy comes with a spring-like supporting structure between the cover and the lining, and attached ties so it can be collapsed down and tied flat for storage.

None of my dogs obsessed about lights too much, but I don't have a cat so I only use the laser pointer to train the fish (yeah, I know).

My friend had a English cocker who was completely obsessed with a flashlight. They had him chase it once or twice but he became so obsessed he would stare at the cabinet door for hours where the flashlight was stored. He stopped eating because if he was in the house, he was staring at the cabinet. It was totally sad. Took her months of work to unprogram him.

We entertain our kitties with laser pointers sometimes, well more for our entertainment :) The dogs don't care about the laser pointer, they look at the dot...look at the person holding he laser pointer...and practically roll their eye's 'stupid cats' If the cats get really crazy than Boots gets a bit excited, but not over the laser, and getting excited about kitties is not allowed, so the game and and Boots gets a time out :(

The chickens offer great entertainment with the laser pointer. We had a real pushy hen 'Bonita' and she and one of the cats once were going after the red dot together...ha, she was a funny hen, not afraid of anything.

Gideon has always showed interest in reflections off watches, electronics, etc... One day we started to notice he would sit in a room and stare at the ceiling fan. After a couple of weeks we finally put 2 and 2 together and realized he thought the reflections came from the ceiling fan. He definitely knows we provide the little red light. He even knows where we keep it. When he sees us pick it up, he will watch our hand until he hears the click, then he starts looking around for the light. He enjoys playing that game, but he doesn't go crazy for it.

We had to do an intervention with Buster and the laser pointer, it reached a point where every time he came into the family room, he would stare at the floor and wait for it to appear. The solution was cold turkey for both him and my father-in-law, we hid the pointer from both of them.

I am one of many people who disapprove of the use of the laser pointer. Border Collies can be prone to developing obsessive behaviors and this is one item that is best avoided entirely.

JMO, and the opinion of many other knowledgeable people.

Personally, I find them kind of unfair to the animal's mind. The couple of times we used them for a cat to play with, it was clear that the cat was pretty perplexed when they "caught" the light and nothing was there, so even though it was fun to watch them chase it and they seemed to enjoy doing it, I didn't find it all that fun to watch them try to understand where their catch had gone. So, we stopped using them before we had any dogs.

I am one of many people who disapprove of the use of the laser pointer. Border Collies can be prone to developing obsessive behaviors and this is one item that is best avoided entirely.

JMO, and the opinion of many other knowledgeable people.

I agree. And I especially would avoid it with a dog who already shows interest in reflections. Compulsions can get worse over time, and as the owner of a dog with some serious OCD behaviors (allowed/abetted by his previous owners) I would even dream of intentionally encouraging that behavior. My two cents....

Robin,

I have played with the cats with a laser pointer, but honestly using one of those feather wand toys seems more satisfying for them and they do get to catch it on occasion.

J.

After reading this thread and trying something out, I found a way to give the kitten a "kill" with the laser pointer. I put a few Pounce cat treats in my pocket, and start playing with the kitten chasing the light. While he's busy a few feet away I toss a Pounce onto the rug and then lead the kitten to the Pounce with the light. As soon as the light gets to the treat I turn it off. The kitten eats the Pounce and the light comes back on and away he goes. Three or four Pounce can make a sufficient number of "kills" to keep the kitten from being frustrated. (I'm not sure he was frustrated, but I can see how you could make a case for it.)

Of course you can say that the kitten gets a reward when it "kills" a string toy - and I do still play string with the cats - but the laser pointer can move very fast, around corners of low objects, and over a whole big room. So the kitten gets a real running workout, and is less apt to trash my stuff later because he has burned off all that mischief-prone energy. He shows no disinclination to play with his other toys when the laser pointer is not available to him.

I have no intention of playing with my dog with the laser pointer. Too much risk of unpleasant fallout.

Roo's former owner used a laser pointer for him to chase. When I got him, he would chase after flashlight beams when we would go for walks at night. I mostly fixed that but I had to keep an eye on him. He would see the headlights of an oncoming car and perk up.....last think I need is a dog to chase into oncoming car headlights when I am at a trial. Can you imagine if he ran into a truck at a trial, chasing after the light. Not only I would feel bad but the truck driver? Ever time I would see a headlight or flashlight, I would call him to me and make him focus on me. If he look or tried to go after them, he would get a correction.

I told his former owner and he regretted that and has not used a laser since.