BC Boards

Banning Crates!

Jumpin Boots

I am thinking that there already are laws against crates in other countries. Scary to say the least. But with so many other things, people that use a great tool in a way it was not intended, screw things up for everyone by giving misguided activists ammunition.

I am glad you posted this. Was just talking to someone that made mention of another issue and upon doing research, I told her that it was started by PETA and I didn't trust anything they said....and then mentioned about how they were against crating at dog shows years ago and would go to shows and open crates to release dogs, etc. etc.

The ultimate goal of PETA's founder (and, I presume, the core people who hold sway at PETA) is to eliminate all ownership and use of animals - food, companion, working, service, etc. Something along the lines of "...to be admired at a distance...".

So, while PETA has drawn attention to some situations that merit change for sure, they are not trustworthy in my opinion because their long-range goals are extreme (and some of their short-range tactics are extreme also).

As said, no matter what the item concerned is or its use, misuse by some may lead at some point to banning for all - for better or worse. As long as there are some people who abuse, there will always be ammunition for organizations like this. As long as people can misrepresent reasonable use of animals or materials or methods, there will always be someone (like PETA) who will exploit that approach, too. It fits in with their goal, and too many well-meaning (I believe) people fall for their public persona.

Thank you for pointing out this particular instance.

The ultimate goal of PETA's founder (and, I presume, the core people who hold sway at PETA) is to eliminate all ownership and use of animals - food, companion, working, service, etc. Something along the lines of "...to be admired at a distance...".

So, that basically means PETA´s ultimate goal is to put all domesticated animals to sleep.

I would try to avoid any discussion with people who hold such extreme views.

Amazing how much influence they seem to command in the U.S.

So, that basically means PETA´s ultimate goal is to put all domesticated animals to sleep.

That would imply either to put them down or to let them loose to fend for themselves.

What saddens me is that while many news sources used to seem to label them as extreme or even terrorist, they appear to be becoming more acceptable and even mainstream in terms of reporting their actions and viewpoints. Very scary.

I personally do not think they have that much influence here in the US. I think a lot of people think PETA is like the local SPCA- a place to report extreme animal cruelty. I hear people say a lot "you should report them to PETA!" as if PETA has jurisdiction to do anything or anything to do with animal cruelty investigations at all. Then there are a lot of people who just view them as an extremist group and they make other people who are involved in animal rescue look like a bunch of wack job crazy people. Years ago I thought of PETA as being more about veganism and throwing paint on fur wearers but now it seems like they are trying to change their image. For me, they will always be an extremist group who has no merit though.

Here's an important thing to remember about PETA. They are about killing pets, not rescuing and rehoming them.

Since 1998 PETA has killed more than 17,000 animals, nearly 85 percent of all those it has rescued.

PETA and Euthanasia

I hate how they are increasingly quoted in mainstream news media as though they are a bunch of straight-up animal lovers. I'm not sure what they are.

If you have ever received a mailing from PETA you will know that they come on as the guardians of all things furred and feathered. Their mailings have cute pictures of kittens and puppies, go on and on about things like the Draize tests, and implore you to help them help poor, suffering animals. But then, if PETA sent out mailers with photos of heaps of dead kittens and puppies, the purple-haired set would be much less likely to fork over part of their Social Security checks.

Unfortunately many folks take it at face value and pony up. Of course Peta doesn't include their by-laws, which state one of their primary goals - to eliminate all domestic animals.

Donating to "worthy causes" is most often a knee-jerk, impulse to make one feel better about one's self. The number of folk that look into the organizations they are donating to is small. And then of course, once they have donated, they don't want to hear the bad news - that their money is being used to do things they most definitely are opposed to.

• 4 weeks later...

But then, if PETA sent out mailers with photos of heaps of dead kittens and puppies, the purple-haired set would be much less likely to fork over part of their Social Security checks.

Do you mean blue-haired set? Are you saying senior citizens are a big part of PETA's support base?