BC Boards

Strong crate needed!

Two recent foster dogs have really done a number on my metal crate - shredding the plastic liner pan and bending some of the metal bars near the door. I kick myself for buying this crate off the internet without thinking about quality I realize now that the metal bars are not thick enough. I used it for my dog when he had surgery, but since he is very good in a crate, there was no problem until .... the foster dogs started arriving.

I am familiar with the Midwest crates. Today I was in Petsmart and saw that they are selling a Kong brand crate that looks fairly sturdy. Any feedback on those 2 brands? And any advice on other brands &/or models to look at?

Also, if the plastic liner pan is destroyed, what would be a substitute? Someone told me that just to buy the plastic liner pan might be almost as much as the whole crate, but I haven't checked that out.

Jovi

A really sturdy metal crate, if you can find it, is the Midwest Ultima. It's way heavier than the standard Midwest but I think it may have been discontinued. These are what I have and, while my dogs are easy on crates, I like the solid nature of the Ultima (which is a three-door crate, and I don't know if that would be a problem for you).

Good luck finding something suitable! And thank you for fostering!

I know that this is somewhat cost prohibitive, however, to me the very best option is an aluminum type crate like the hunting dog folks use. Very expensive but worth the investment if fostering is a future thing.

I checked out the aluminum dog crates at a couple of websites. They are beautiful! but as you say, they are costly. At this point in time, I want a metal crate that I can fold up and store if not needed.

Sue - the Midwest Ultima is still available on Amazon. I also checked out KV Pet and saw a Midwest Select that appears to be the same crate (same description, same photo) at a better price. I don't need 3 doors, but as long as the crate is sturdy with the doors, I don't mind.

Thanks,

Jovi

Also, if the plastic liner pan is destroyed, what would be a substitute? Someone told me that just to buy the plastic liner pan might be almost as much as the whole crate, but I haven't checked that out.

Jovi

I was at a PetSmart store today for dog food, and with your question in mind looked at crates and trays. As I recall, crate for 35 lb dog was about $125, and plastic trays of various sizes topped-out at $30. I don't know what a good substitute would be.

I purchased an Ultima crate quite some time ago, and it has held-up perfectly. Heavy gauge construction. I didn't see that brand today at PetSmart. It is really too heavy to be an easily portable container. It does a fine job, permanently in one room, available when needed.

Best wishes with that.-- Kind Regards, TEC

Archived