BC Boards

Chewing on cat Tower

For my cat I have a huge 6 ft tower that she climbs on that is made of wood, carpet and rope. Well for the past week since I have left Willow have the run of the house while I'm out she chews on the bottom of it which is wood. She does not chew anything else in the house thankfully but I do not want her to chew this. What do you recommend I use? I have tried the bitter apple but she seems to like it and chews more :/.

Thank You!!

If she's less than 1-2 years old, I'd consider crating her when you're out so she doesn't start to chew on other things. I also noticed when my pup was younger (2-5 months) she couldn't care less about bitter apple or other deterrant sprays, but now that she's older she doesn't like the taste. I'm wondering if puppies have no taste buds...

I had her crated while trying to potty train which she is now. She hasn't used it for about 3 weeks. I do not want to crate her again, just my choice. but thank you for the suggestions.

Is there nothing else that can be used as a deteramt? What about vinigar?

Thanks!

Forgot to add... She was confined to the kitchen for 2 weeks with no chewing, that is why she has free run of the house now. The only thing she chews is the tower which the cat shreds anyways.

You know if you refuse to contain her then you'll likely just have to deal with whatever destructive behavior she exhibits. You're right it's your choice. If she chews something dangerous, well, you'll know who to blame. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but seriously if you don't want to follow the collective wisdom of other border collie owners then there's really not much anyone can do.

And if you don't mind, because the "cat shreds anyways" then why are you asking? Let her and the cat have at it.

J.

Wow, sorry I asked.

All I asked was what you would recommend to put on the wood instead I get bashed on because I am one of those owners that chooses not to use a crate. I don't like them, never have. I only did it for that short time because the landlord asked me to until she is potty trained.

Please do not judge me.

I would consider putting an ex pen around the cat tree, something short enough the cat can get over it but not the dog, or keeping her out of the cat tree room with a gate.

I agree that you have the right to crate or not crate as you see fit, please consider however that if she is still in the "chewing stuff up" phase at all she has the potential to harm herself by chewing on a cord, or something that would ball up and cause blockage, something stringy which can get twisted in her gut or something poisonous.

Honestly Regina, my first suggestion was confining her to a room or rooms or excluding her from the room with the cat tower. I don't see how that qualifies as bashing for not using a crate. You said you didn't want to exclude her from any part of the house. As I said, that's your choice. I hope an X-pen works for you and I hope when prevented from chewing the cat tower she doesn't decide to go chew something else. It's not judging you to point out the risks to a dog who chews things if that dog isn't confined in some way, or at least prevented access to the things it wants to chew.

J.

Archived