BC Boards

Buddy just blew out his undercoat... in December?

I have vague memories of Buddy shedding a whopping amount in June of previous years, and then a bit from November into December. But this year, he's most decidedly lost his entire undercoat over the last month. It feels just lovely - I can pat him and reach his actual skin there. His outercoat is not going anywhere; it's clean and shiny and soft.

Anyone else have this experience? It's been a relatively mild winter this year, but it's not so mild that he doesn't need any protection from the cold. Is this normal or typical?

Thanks in advance!

Mary

Interesting. This happened to my 14 year-old sheltie mix rescue about a month ago. Where do you live? My vet suggested weather conditions as a possible cause, but I find it hard to believe that this one winter/fall (which has been rather warm, but not extreme) could be responsible for the entire undercoat shed. I mean, in the 11 previous years of her life (the time she has lived with me), we have had more extreme weather.

About a month prior to her starting the extreme 'blowout', I brought her into the vet for a routine visit and had blood taken for their "Lifescreen" blood panel - probably 30-40 different blood values. They were all within a normal range although a couple of kidney values were borderline high, and the T4 was borderline low. I thought she might be hypothyroid, but her energy level is fairly normal for her age. In fact, she actually seems a little perkier than normal.

I can not think of any significant changes - no new dogs or cats, same schedule, and similar food that she has had several times before. Maybe I am missing something, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Jovi

Sophie has been blowing her coat for the past six weeks or so. It has been a cold December here in Colorado. None of the other dogs are losing their coats, and Sophie hasn't blown her coat this time of year previously. I wondered if it might have had to do with the fact that she spent most of 2010 on chemo and prednisone. Her coat was all screwed up in 2010, but came back to normal in 2011. Now it seems all screwed up again :(

Hmm... interesting.

Buddy had fleas this fall, and I was more prompt than usual on the K9 Advantix II application - I used it once a month to the day for 3 months, because the flea thing freaked me out. The third time I applied it (December), Buddy went and rolled in a pile of whatnot shortly afterwards, smearing the oily stuff into his fur, and shortly aftewards, I noticed that the undercoat on the ruff came out in tufts. That was an area that hadn't shed particularly hard in June, when his haunches and sides lost their undercoat. After the ruff, the shedding moved back to the haunches and sides (which typically shed first in the summer).

Maybe it was the fleas? Or maybe the aggressive Advantix use? Weird.

A couple websites I consulted note that most double-coat dogs shed in spring and fall. (Lose the summer coat for winter, lose the winter coat for summer.) For Buddy, it's always been a late-June shed for the summer. Maybe he's just a few months off on the cycle. There's also talk of allergies, fleas, and chemical sensitivity causing shedding.

Mary

Interesting. My smoothe coat mix is blowing coat now also! Its really freaking me out. Its definitely the wrong time of year for her. She has not been on any flea meds. She is generally healthy. She has lost weight due to increased activity.

I was thinking the shedding was due to the extremely mild winter we are having so far in south east Michigan. And hoping that is all it is!

Jennifer

Nellie is blowing her coat now. It has just now went below freezing here in Ohio. I am trying to remember if she has blown her coat yet this year and I don't think so. It has been a very weird weather year around here. We still have farmers trying to finish the harvest and can't get in the fields cause they are too soupy. Can't even get a good freeze so they can get out there.

Archived