BC Boards

Meeker or Soldier's?

I promised my daughter that I would take her to one of the major sheepdog trials next year. Both Meeker and Soldier's Hollow are about the same distance from home (Phoenix). Which offers the better spectator experience?

I'm guessing that Soldier Hollow is more geared toward non-stockworking- or owning-spectators. It's an invitational, so you'll get the cream of the crop, so to speak. Meeker is highly respected and in a beautiful location, but I think Mark Petersen at Soldier Hollow really tries to make the trial a great spectator experience.

J.

I've been to Soldier Hollow many times and can recommend it for spectators. There are a lot of activities in addition to the trial -- duck herding, police dog demos, a dock diving contest that runs in parallel to the trial, wild animal demos, etc. There are booths for Navajo rug weaving, Navajo jewelry, and dog stuff, and a there's a food court. Bagpipers, and a wonderful award ceremony. And the trial is absolutely great. The topography is a natural bowl, and you can really see everything. The handlers are top-notch and very friendly. It's quite cheap to fly to Salt Lake City, and there are some other attractions there you might enjoy with your daughter. A brand new Natural History Museum just opened on the U. of Utah campus, and I really enjoyed visiting it over Thanksgiving weekend. It's a must-visit for any dinosaur fans.

I've not been to Meeker, but I know that the handlers are awesome, and the sheep have a reputation for being challenging. It is a beautiful part of Colorado. The people who run it are experienced and very good at running sheepdog trials, as they showed over in Carbondale this September at the Sheepdog Finals.

I don't think you can go wrong!

I went to Soldier Hollow this year and thought it was great. I had forgotten sunscreen and an umbrella so I got pretty sun burnt, but it was a neat experience. There are bleachers for spectators or you can bring your own chair. The dock diving was pretty cool as well. There was even a booth for WBCR :)

Your daughter might enjoy watching the movie "Away to Me", scheduled for release this spring. (The previews alone are pretty cool!). It's about sheepdog trialing and is filmed in part at Soldier Hollow. Even without all the attractions that it sounds like Soldier Hollow offers for spectators, the existence of this film, to me, would tip the balance in favor of Soldier Hollow.

Archived