BC Boards

Barbie Collies

Originally posted by MrSnappy:

And don't get me started on flyball people!

Oh, c'mon! I know nothing about the sport. Are they even more likely to rehome dogs in that venue?

While I can't see myself rehoming a dog, I agree that if the dog is placed with care into a good, loving home, that's a choice I can respect even if it isn't one I'd choose.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as a flyball person I dont know many people who rehomes flyball dogs that didnt make the grade, every last person I know who has have flyball dogs not make the grade simply kept the dog as a house pet. is it common to retire flyball dogs that are not fast enugh? yup, very common, either that or demote the dog to the slow or recreation team. the closest to rehomeing elderly or slow flyball dogs that I have seen was to retire them with a family member lol

So if it's OK to rehome because it's a good home then the same logic could be applied that it's ok to breed as long as good homes are thought to be lined up. Where does it end? Where do people begin to take responsibility for life versus sport and/or applicable hobby-istic activity.

Of course the dog is probably better off once re-homed because he was owned by someone lacking committment to a dog to begin with but behind him there's another, and another, and another...and they all come from somewhere.

If the priority is jumping through a tire....

Maria

Maria, I agree with you. And given the nature of what I do, I tend to be a little more sensitive to the rehoming issue than other members, perhaps. Quite frankly, nothing disgusts me more than seeing sport people go through bought dogs, while dogs languish in rescue.

And FTR, the team we sometimes run in Div 1 is composed entirely of three border collies and a borderjack, ALL of them rescues.

There is a BC breeder locally and in the last year three of his dogs ended up in my rescue. And then he had a litter of borderjacks not too long ago. BARF.

There has to be some level of responsibility and it has to start somewhere.

RDM