BC Boards

Using Fleeces for Felting

This past week I decided I should try my hand with felting since I have the fleeces we sheared last spring in plastic bags in my barn.

First off, I use 2 big dog slicker brushes to card. My question is since I am wetfelting can I just card the fleeces without washing them? The Lanolin is not to bad from what I can tell, and the "stuff" in the fleece falls off during carding, but it takes a long time to card. Would "real" Carding paddles work faster then slicker brushes? Where can I get used paddles? And do I even need to card if I am only felting and not spinning? Also does the feed matter in the amount of lanolin in the fleece? I seem to remember my shearer telling me years ago that grain will cause more Lanolin?

Any Carders/Felters out there?

Hum?

I use carders.

Or a drum carder for batts.

I wash the fleece, dry it

Use a big picker then card it on the drum carder and alternate batt directions add the soap hot water and on a rough surcface like a rubber bath matt begin to felt.

Just search for Spinning carding eqt and you will find alot of sources.

I make felt for slippers this way.

Bad to have stuff in the fleeces.

I don't grain.

I spoke with my felting 'expert' and he said that you can felt in the raw (fleeces not washed) but it sometimes does not stick together as well as when washed giving a shaggy felt. For a more solid felt you need to wash it.

With the grain in it it will help to pick it first then card it. IMO it is easier to card when washed first.

Pam

Thanks Ladies :D

And just who would the expert be? Do I have a beautiful piece of his work?

I don't really know why I am doing this now, I am working like the dickens to put next years herding schedule together, trying to decide if I want put a ram to my ewes (a friend of ours, Barbara Merikle, is letting me "Use" a ram)and trying to figure out when to put the billy boer with the girls. Anyone interested in boer babies LOL?

In any case, I really enjoyed the little carding I did, its amazing to think that the fleece was running around up until last April.

First off, I use 2 big dog slicker brushes to card. My question is since I am wetfelting can I just card the fleeces without washing them? The Lanolin is not to bad from what I can tell, and the "stuff" in the fleece falls off during carding, but it takes a long time to card. Would "real" Carding paddles work faster then slicker brushes? Where can I get used paddles? And do I even need to card if I am only felting and not spinning? Also does the feed matter in the amount of lanolin in the fleece? I seem to remember my shearer telling me years ago that grain will cause more Lanolin?

I also recommend washing before picking and/or carding. I think it makes these steps easier and also keeps your tools cleaner. I would check Ebay for used carding paddles or do a Google search. I have seen fleeces felt, or at least cot, on live animals so you can certainly felt 'in the raw' - but you will probably get a very bumpy felt. Don't know about the grain and lanolin thing.

Have fun,

Jovi

Light? Who needs light? Herding in the dark is much more fun. ;) You do need some lights in that ring. You can pay for them by allowing people to come work their dogs after work. More sheep rental time = cash to pay for the improvements.

This past week I decided I should try my hand with felting since I have the fleeces we sheared last spring in plastic bags in my barn.

Any Carders/Felters out there?

Yes, carders will work faster as they tend to be about 4x the size of slicker brushes. If you want to really get into it, a drum carder will make it go much faster than the hand cards.

Washing will help loosen the debris in the wool. But be careful when you wash so you don't felt it before you want it felted!

I don't know how much grain affects lanolin production. My sheep are mostly grass fed and still have plenty of lanolin.

Archived