BC Boards

First heat possibly causing behavior change?

Rave

Is it likely a 7 month old pup's recent behavior change is due to her possibly coming into her first heat? The pup went from just general displeasure but tolerating being handled to growling and lifting a lip when her feet were being examined. She shows no outward signs of coming into heat, but I was wondering if this recent attitude change could be a precursor?

For those with dogs whose behavior changes with their heats, what changes do you notice and for how long and also do they go back to normal behavior afterward?

Thanks! Even with all my females who get spayed late and rescues, I've never actually had one go through heat.

More likely just because she is entering her adolescent period. My experience has been that all dogs test their boundaries at that age, some more obviously than others. I've never had a bitch become aggressive towards me right before a heat cycle. If anything, they seem to be needy and unsure of themselves for several weeks before they come in. Some will get spooky or appear to forget some of their training. Then, right after their cycle, they become more affcetionate for a month or two as the pregnancy hormones kick in (they all go through a false pregnancy if they are not actually pregnant).

Is this a dog you have raised since a small pup that you trust completely? She needs to know you have the right to touch and handle her in any way you please, but at the same time she must trust that you mean no harm. I start with pups the very day I get them, asking that they relax in my arms and let me play with their feet, ears, mouth, tail, etc. I use a soothing voice and firm but gentle touch. As they get older they come to love these handling sessions. My dogs actually look forward to getting their nails done because they know it's followed by a "massage."

Not sure of the issue and it is a young female, but when "aggressive" behaviour starts to escalate it might be worthwhile to have her thyroid level checked. Hypothyroid can have a genetic cause and with her hormones maturing it might accentuate low thyroid activity. Just a thought.

Archived