BC Boards

How do you know when you have something very special?

kelpiegirl

For those of you with mucho experience in all things sheepdog, how do you know, or when do you get the feeling that you have something very special in your pup/dog? Has there been one thing, or a combination of things that stand out and make you take a step back and say "hmmmm" Have you ever been proven wrong when you have articulated that said dog is something special?

Julie

That's a really hard question to answer. I think it's easier to tell when you have one that isn't going to be special and you can answer that question much sooner. To really say you've got "the one" takes years of training and situations and evaluating. And even then, opinions wax and wane.

I totally agree with Robin.

Some of the things that make me smile when I see them in a youngster are (1) a natural feel for balance, (2) comfort taking sheep off a fence (readily going between the sheep and the fence, and not trying to zoom out of that situation), (3) attention to keeping the whole group of sheep together and not wanting to pick off one or two or ignore one or two that lag, (4) willingness to include the handler in the picture, (5) taking pressure without wanting to quit, and (6) thinking. But I think one of the things you learn as you go along with this is that early impressions are not worth all that much. They're hopeful signs, but I just would never conclude even tentatively at that early stage that the pup would be something special. Frustrating as it is to hear, you just have to wait and see.

Has anyone ever had one that you were thinking couldnt cut it and as it aged it turned out to be decent or special?

Just curious :rolleyes: I havent even started Dally yet, hoping after Christmas to start really lightly (as soon as I hunt down a trainer )

Two days ago I thought I had something special with a young dog. Yesterday she acted like a $@#!%, still special just not in the same way.

Like Robin & Eileen said, you never know. I've seen dogs started out at clinics that looked like superstars and turned out to be not much and dogs that were train wrecks that turned out to be pretty good.

I just moved to open with a dog several experienced handlers said couldn't cut it. When she was young I sent her off for training, and the trainer called after two days and said to pick her up because he couldn't do anything with her. I kept at it because I liked her and didn't have anything else to work, and she turned out to be a pretty good dog, not perfect mind you, but none of them are.

I am like. a. total. novice. when it comes to training. And, yes, she is the first dog I have decided to seriously work (my others never got past the round pen). My girl, what I like about her is that she will work for someone else (very nice when you are an oaf out there). She will listen, and when given pressure can come right back- this is nice. She got some sheep off a fence on her first lesson, and did so calmly, and without hesitation. She is not perfect in any way, but she has what appears to be a good built in foundation. I hope we can go far....

Julie

Like Tony said, they can change from day to day. The first time I had my little pups on sheep, they went around nicely (alright, Pip was a bit of an alligator, but he was going *around*). The next time all they wanted to do was chase. Had you caught me after that first time, I would have been very enthusiastic about both pups. The second time, I probably would have said they weren't at all ready.... So just don't be discouraged when you have setbacks or your dog who was doing so wonderfully suddenly can't seem to do anything right!

Not too long ago, Tony and I were working dogs together. Three open dogs and a P/N dog. At the end of the work, all we could do was shake our heads sadly at the various performances of our open dogs--who ended up looking pretty darn bad next to the little P/N dog!

I think if you like a dog you just keep trying. If there are other things about the dog you don't like, then chances are you'll quit sooner if problems arise. Just human nature....

J.

Yes, that's pretty much right on with what I see- if you like a dog, you just put more in, and try more different things to see how you can get there.

I know I really like my girl- she still has lots of warts (and I sure don't help), but there are lots more things I like about her, than I don't.

Julie

I remember being at a Jack Knox clinic with my first border collie long ago. She was a beginner -- this was the first time she had been working in the "big field" outside the ring. He was working her and I thought she was looking great. At the end of the session he said, "I doona see any faults in this dog." Well, I felt wonderful! Jack had said my dog was faultless! That means perfect, right? It took awhile before I realized that Jack didn't mean anything of the kind. He meant that during that particular session, doing what he was doing with her at that early stage of her training, no faults were evident. The difference was that I, in my inexperience, thought that you could make some meaningful judgment about the ultimate quality of the dog at this point, whereas it wouldn't have occurred to Jack to even try.

I've heard it said, and believe it more all the time -- There are no perfect dogs, they all have their faults. You just have to figure out what faults you can live with and go from there.

Some faults that might drive me nuts might not bother the next person and vice versa. That said, it's a lot easier to forgive the faults in a dog you just plain old like as a dog, and enjoy having around and working with.

Well I love my girl no matter what she ends up doin ;D I purchased her to be a cowdog but if she doesnt have what it takes, and my trying doesnt do it, I am certainly too much in love with her to get her replaced via the work gaurantee! I'd be heartbroken if I had to get rid of her!

It was pretty funnny, yesterday we had one of our DoggieDayCare Dogs in who's a Preanese(sp?) He looks like a Big sheep of course lol and Dally just.. well I'm not sure she thinks he's a dog! lol She started heading at him and when he'd turn away she'd go for his heels, nothin real ferocious, no connection in the snaps but she was practically herding him. :rolleyes: Poor guy didnt know what to do lol. She's also started giving my roomate's dog the eye and the stalk when they get playin :D

Well, fingers crossed and prayers said, hopefully she's goin to be a nice dog If not she is a wonderful companion! ;D

I'm sure your girl will turn out great. I say that, because since I am a novice at all this stuff, and my dog has ability- I see her being SUPER- who knows, maybe she is, maybe she isn't. I can tell you this, I am so happy to be working her, it really is the journey for me, not the end result.

Julie