BC Boards

practice tunnel questions

I want a 10-15' tunnel for backyard use. I used to have a nice 6" pitch 15 footer I got from the Tunnelman, but I guess hes not around anymore? The best price I could find was at NTI whose tunnels were $20 cheaper, but have free shipping, making a 12 footer with 6" pitch about $140. Does anyone know a better place?

I don't like to use kids play tunnels for practice too much because I have found dogs slow down when the tunnel is too lightweight and sometimes that carries over, plus the durability (or lack thereof) factor.

I did see a practice tunnel made out of 600D Dacron on eBay that looks a lot tougher than the typical nylon tunnels I see. It was 18' long and about $60, which is a great price, but I can't see/touch it to know how sturdy it is or isn't. Does anyone have experience with these?

My tunnels are from NTI and I'm very happy with them. I got them in 2008 and they are holding up very well. Note, I do not leave my tunnels outside between uses -- Not only because I'd rather they not get weathered, but mainly because Kaiser pees on them.... :blink: lol

I think you get what you pay for with tunnels. Maybe people with smaller dogs can get away with a bit flimsier tunnel, but I run an 80lb dog and a 50lb dog, so I want as close to "competition quality" as I can afford.

And truthfully, tunnels are the least of the expense. It's the stinking tunnel BAGS that will set you back a fortune.

I have one of the Dacron tunnels from Ebay.

It has worked well for us, but it is pretty light weight. If you have one of those dogs that tears though tunnels like a maniac it may not hold up.

I mainly got it because when Maya was a puppy because she was scared of tunnels and we used it in the house to get her over her fear (worked like a charm).

I am wanting to buy a couple competition quality ones now.

It has worked well for us, but it is pretty light weight. If you have one of those dogs that tears though tunnels like a maniac it may not hold up.

I'm less concerned about the "holding up" aspect, because I can buy 3 dacron tunnels for 1 NTI tunnel, but since when he hits a tunnel at speed he banks and the light tunnels won't support that, so he will slow down in it, which may or may not show itself as slowing in regular tunnels.

we practice with both. i got a nti tunnel for christmas last year, which i love. wish i could afford more but..... anyway, i have 2 dacron tunnels, one a bit stronger than the other. we just played at nadac this past weekend and competed in tunnelers. nova finished with a very respectable 20.12 second run covering 6.8 yards per second. i don't think the practice tunnels slowed her down!

we practice with both. i got a nti tunnel for christmas last year, which i love. wish i could afford more but..... anyway, i have 2 dacron tunnels, one a bit stronger than the other. we just played at nadac this past weekend and competed in tunnelers. nova finished with a very respectable 20.12 second run covering 6.8 yards per second. i don't think the practice tunnels slowed her down!

rufftie, is your Dacron the 18 footer they are selling on ebay?

this is the new one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330581651344?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

i believe it is a little better quality than the older one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-18-FEET-DOG-AGILITY-TUNNEL-TRAINING-OBIDIENCE-/280739714179?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415d641483

they both seem to be 600 whatever, but they feel different. also, i like the grommets holding the stakes rather than the flags.

as for tunnel bags, for the NTI tunnel, i bought several backpacks at the goodwill, put a trash bag inside and filled them with kitty litter or play sand, then tied off the bag. i just place them at the tunnel ends, but you could use a bungee cord to connect them.

Archived