BC Boards

Herding Clinics?

Maralynn

I would be interested in going to a herding clinic sometime in the next several months, but am not having much success in locating information on any.

Is there a place I can go to get information on upcoming clinics? I would like to find one within a 6 or so hr drive - MI, WI, IL, IN, or OH locations would probably work the best. Or I've got a friend in the DC area I like to visit every so often, so if my scheldule would allow, something within a couple hrs of DC might be an option that could work.

I'm about three hours from DC and will be having Jack Knox here Jan 13-15. We just nailed this down but I can go ahead and start taking names for a need-to-know list right now. I was working on the reg form and flyer but my brand-new laptop blew a gasket or something and is going back - I'll have to re-do everything because it is a Mac and my other machine is a PC. :rolleyes:

Bill Gary hosts a clinic with Derek Scrimgeour in May in River Falls, WI. Not exactly within your time frame, but if you can make it, it would be awesome for you (and I think it fills rather quickly so you'd want to be thinking about it now anyway). If you need more information, PM me. If it weren't such a long drive for me (2 days) I'd definitely go. As for finding out about clinics, generally the best way is to join the local handlers' associations** so you get their newsletters/announcements. Many folks also announce such things on Sheepdog-L, so if you aren't subscribed to that, you might want to (go to Yahoogroups and search Sheepdog-L and you'll find it).

(**I don't know everything that's in your area, but there is Ohio Valley Stockdog Assn--OVSDA, and I believe a Land of Lincoln Stockdog Assn that covers Illinois. I'd imagine there's one in Michigan too. Oh duh, if you look in the back of the Working Border Collie, there is a list of associations by state. There's also a list of clinic dates in with the trial dates. Anyway, if you don't have or can't get your hands on a copy of WBC, let me know and I'll copy some of the information here for you.)

There is a Jack Knox clinic the first weekend in Nov. in Sperryville, VA. I have no idea if it's full, but can give you the contact info for that as well if you want it. There will be another in January in NC, but that's more than a couple of hours from DC. Someone in MD also hosts a clinic with him, though, and that might be an easier drive from the DC area, but I'm not sure who or when. Maybe someone else reading this thread will know.

J.

Rebecca, I hope you remember my name, and that I'm bringing both Celt and Bute. Don't you just feel nekkid without a functional computer and internet? I feel lost, at least!

I was also going to mention the Derek Scrimgeour clinics in Wisconsin. Hey, Julie, sometime in the future, would you like to travel up there together to do one? It would take a little planning and a bit of money, but we could share travel expenses and a room...

Maralynn, John Lavelle near Albany OH (mid-east part of the state) hosts cattledog clinics (and has sheep available, but the emphasis is cattle and the sheep are used "as needed"). He usually has several with Gary Ericsson each year and, next month, is having Elvin Kopp (I am SO excited - I can hardly wait to make a fool of myself).

The Fogts offer occasional clinics at their place in western OH but it's by invitation only so I don't think that would be any help.

I wish there was someplace where all the clinics were listed in one place...

Best wishes!

M,

I have heard word of a couple possible clinics for MI next year, in April and October. Nothing is firmed up yet, but I can put you in touch with people by PM, if interested.

Also, there is a trial in Ann Arbor next weekend, Oct 7th and 8th, at Jim Valley's farm. This is a local fun trial, very low key, and plenty of people to meet and speak to regarding herding, triaing, clinics, lessons, etc.

If DebP and Julie (and anyone else) were wanting to make the haul (and we could fit us plus dogs in a vehicle) and share travel/motel, etc., I'd love to seriously look into it.

If someone supplied the vehicle (I only have a Subaru Outback wagon and you can't fit too many people/dogs in it), I'd be more than happy to share mileage costs (rather than just gas).

I think Derek S. clinics up there are more than just two days in length, aren't they? More like 3-5 days, maybe? That would make the longer trip more costly but more worthwhile, I'd think.

Thanks, DebP, for asking!

If DebP and Julie (and anyone else) were wanting to make the haul (and we could fit us plus dogs in a vehicle) and share travel/motel, etc., I'd love to seriously look into it.

If someone supplied the vehicle (I only have a Subaru Outback wagon and you can't fit too many people/dogs in it), I'd be more than happy to share mileage costs (rather than just gas).

I think Derek S. clinics up there are more than just two days in length, aren't they? More like 3-5 days, maybe? That would make the longer trip more costly but more worthwhile, I'd think.

Thanks, DebP, for asking! Will you be at the Jack Knox in November? I'm taking both Celt and Bute. I figure that, if I am going to make a fool of myself, I might as well do it twice as well!

I envy you, DebP, for the Julie Simpson clinic. I just couldn't make a commitment when it had to be made so I missed out. Plus, I have the Elvin Kopp cattledog clinic in Ohio the other end of that same week, and I had to choose which would be most important to our farm in the long run. Although, if I could figure out a way to audit Julie's clinic and drive on over to Elvin's from there...

Best wishes for you at the clinic!

I really, really wanted to go to the Julie Simpson clinic. But I have to save my pennies - next year I'll have two babies coming up and I'll be spending plenty then - yikes!

Duh, I forgot the clinic in Nov - I had this idea it was full but of course there's always space for spectators.

Rebecca, I hope you remember my name,
Um, YEAH, Sue! I think I have a standing offer to put you up - still open. I'd love to come up for one of those cattle clinics when Rocky is old enough - and catch some of the trials that are around the same time.

John Lavelle has put on Gary Ericsson cattledog clinics about three times a year (May, Nov, and Feb) and times them to precede a Buckeye CDT and SDT (clinic on Thurs and Fri, and trials on Sat and Sun) so one trip can cover both handily.

John is also hosting an Elvin Kopp cattledog clinic next month, along with the trials. They are indoor arena trials but I think he's considering doing some classes or the sheep outside, too.

John is always a great host and the facility is wonderful - indoors is 200x120 (with radiant heat at the spectators' end in winter), a heated restroom, a nice gravel parking area with hookups for campers, and good food available all day from a local FFA group.

I thought I was staying with Julie but, who knows? You come on up here for one of the clinics at John's and we'll have a good time together in Ohio. What happens in Ohio, stays in Ohio...but, of course, nothing bad happens!

Uh, Rebecca, I made a reservation at the motel in Luray for you and Rachel for the JK in November. Did you forget and not enter? Do I need to cancel a room (you and Rachel were going to share, and Julie and I were going to share)?

Thanks everyone! I knew I could get help here!

Rebecca, Julie and Wendy, I've PM'd you.

Unfortunatly, the begining of Nov won't work - I'm headed to a wedding in CO the week before. But anything mid-Nov or later might work.

I've been thinking about subsrcribing to WBC, so I guess now would be a good time to do that. I'll also check out the Sheepdog-L.

Whoops, sorry, Rachel! I forgot it was Laura and not you. However, are Becca and Laura still going, or do I need to cancel that reservation? Becca's post sounds like she's not going unless to spectate, and then she'll still need the room.

I need to know, Becca!