BC Boards

Proposal for Golden Fleece Grant Award

PennyT

Proposal for Golden Fleece Grant respectfully submitted by Dr. C. Hans:

History of Presenting Symptoms: The cases are of seasoned, successful open trial dogs that out of nowhere start to miss the drive panels low in clockwise courses by taking off too early on a come-bye flank or by taking off too early on an away flank in counter-clockwise courses. The symptoms can be exacerbated in dogs that, sometimes very subtly, glance back to the handler on approaching the panels but are not limited to such dogs. A similar less severe pattern is observed in pro-novice dogs that hook sheep back to the handler on being moved to open. Barring extremely masochistic handlers, these dogs are usually retired from open level competition. It is recommended that dogs presenting with the above described symptoms be spayed or neutered and removed from the gene pool until the outcome of further study reveals the origin of the syndrome. In particular, we are not eliminating depth perception problems.

History of Presenting Symptoms: The cases are of seasoned, successful open trial dogs that out of nowhere start to miss the drive panels low in clockwise courses by taking off too early on a come-bye flank or by taking off too early on an away flank in counter-clockwise courses.

Huh? Another Early Takeoff Syndrom, this time for working stockdogs...?

It´s not April fools day so I assume it is serious...

Sam very clearly presented this today. He hooked his flank and ran the sheep right into the woods.

I think the fact that there were trees on either side, plus I was standing slightly within his line of sight with another set of sheep may clearly point to a genetic depth perception issue.

I know it's not a training problem because he's done the same thing perfectly for months with no problem. It's always EXACTLY the same.

Where do o send cheek swabs?

And here I thought you were talking about the Golden Fleas Award (also known as Bugs with Bling) which award is announced annually by the celebrity, Paris Ite Hilton. I think I've been in the sun too long...

Reasoning from the conclusions drawn in the case of Clever Hans suggests that if symptoms can be reduced by eliminating visual contact with the handler, then causation probably lies within the realm of an interpretation of anticipated communication based on previous experience.

Don’t send swabs; send cash.

You are out of luck. Swabs I got. Cash, none. Otherwise I might have thought about taking a HANDLER'S clinic or two, to ameliorate this genetic disorder in my dog.

Proposal for Golden Fleece Grant respectfully submitted by Dr. C. Hans:

It is recommended that dogs presenting with the above described symptoms be spayed or neutered and removed from the gene pool until the outcome of further study reveals the origin of the syndrome. In particular, we are not eliminating depth perception problems.

Depth perception problems on the part of the handler of course. Maybe the handlers should be removed from the gene pool--fortunately our Border collies have the genetics to try and read past our errors.

Depth perception problems on the part of the handler of course. Maybe the handlers should be removed from the gene pool--fortunately our Border collies have the genetics to try and read past our errors.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, I'm not sure how many of us have not been bred for working ability in generations. And my vision problems should knock me out of the gene pool for sure, not to mention my other less-than-stellar attributes!

Archived