BC Boards

Sore paws

bn_here_b4

Bella has been chewing her paws and made them sore. I am working on her diet to take out and add back various things in case of allergy. I've also started washing her paws when she comes in from her walks in case she's irritated by something in the yard. Can anyone suggest anything I can put on her paws to soothe them while I try to figure out the root cause of the problem? She'll probably just lick it off, but I feel so bad for her poor sore feet. I would like to do something to help them feel better.

Our aussie does this...chews at his feet and makes them red and irritated. All I do is put a cone on his head for a few days so the feet have time to feel better. Usually just the time without licking makes them better. He is prone to getting a bit of yeast in his toes too so sometimes we bath his feet in Nizoral shampoo which is an anti-fungal you can get at the drug store (actually an anti-dandruff shampoo for people).

This is the top of the paws?

A grain free diet usually helps this, but watch out for egg and dairy and flax in these diets. These can be cross sensitivities for a while when the immune system is on high alert. ;)

If the problem is really severe, I'd go on emergency rations of simple one third chicken, lamb or pork, two thirds sweet potato, and a wee sprinkle of crushed eggshell.

It takes a minimum of three weeks for a definitive response, so be patient, and don't cheat!

Three weeks on a bland diet will not throw anything off. If she's tolerating it after a week, add a high quality fish oil supplement like Nordic ever day, and a crushed human multivitamin with zinc every other day.

If her poor little paws are improving and she seems better in other ways, give her a full couple months (the sound if time it takes the gi to heal), then change to a true grain free.

If you are not seeing improvement at all after three weeks, consider having her thyroid levels checked by someone who is familiar with hypothyroid in Border Collies. Border Collies can be symptomatic at low-normal levels apparently. You might do this anyway, as grain sensitivity can be an early indicator for this issue.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will give them a try.

Rebecca, she chews the bottoms of her paws. i know they are itchy but also think it is partly out of habit. I am trying to give her a toy to chew every time she starts on her paws.

The diet adjusting is such an uphill battle around here. Tonight I caught my husband feeding her pizza crusts! So there's a few days setback.

Cherrie J

Do you walk her on treated lawns? carpeting that has been cleaned with carpet cleaner. Do you use carpet freshener(powder or spray)

I've been told that if you slather the itchy bits in unpasteurized local honey and wrap in saran wrap for a few hours, it will clear up most / all of any allergen related rash and relieve the itchy to boot. I intend to try this on Dexter, who has turned into a festering mass of oozy blisters on his chest and front legs - he is suffering from some kind of contact allergy, maybe to the buttercups. I've also been told that adding a tablespoon of honey to their meals every day will help. You might want to look that up; as I say, I've not tried it yet on my dogs.

RDM

Hey Sheena,

They say it works for human allergies too. It has to be local honey because then the bees will have been in contact with local pollen. The idea is akin to allergy shots--come in contact with a little every day and become desensitized. I actually took a tablespoon of local (from the property where I lived) honey twice a day for the past couple of years and it did seem to help my seasonal allergies.

And of course honey is supposed to be great for healing cuts, etc., so it makes sense it might help Dexter.

J.

Our yard is not treated and we normally stay right here. The dogs have plenty of space since the yard is two and a half acres. Some of the dogs that run loose up the street aren't friendly. I don't know if any neighbors use lawn treatments. We are at the bottom of the hill by the creek so might get runoff from other yards.

We used to use chlorine in the pool but switched to a saltwater ionizer last year. The dogs have a little wading pool of their own which is fresh water and emptied every couple days.

We do use carpet fresh so I will cut that out for a while and see if it helps.

Sheena, I always buy and use local honey for the allergy benefits but I have never thought to put it on the dogs or their food. I will do some reading and let you know if I try it. If you put honey on Dexter and wrap him in cling film will you please, please post a picture? I love your pictures of Dex and the whole pack. My entire family reads your blog now because I kept sending them all links to the great pictures.

Bella does seem to be a little less itchy than she was a week ago when I asked the question. I am still washing her feet once or twice a day but not every single time she goes outside. She has always been an itchy dog but this episode was her worst ever. It also occurred over the two week period immediately following her booster shots.

She does seem to enjoy the foot washing and toe massage!

It also occurred over the two week period immediately following her booster shots.

I don't know how old Bella is, but if you think there could be a clear correlation between vaccines and her allergic reaction you might want to consider a reduced vaccine schedule (stick to what the law requires for rabies) to avoid creating or exacerbating the problem in the future. If you wait three years for the next vaccines and she has another bad reaction right after, then talk to your vet about perhaps titering and not vaccinating unless absolutely necessary.

J.

Try checking for eggs and dairy in her food. Eggs can be a cross allergen for some brands of vaccines because they use albumin during processing. I think rabies and, um Corona are the two biggest offenders there.

Archived