BC Boards

Stuck

Laurae

Hi everyone,

I've been training my 22-month-old BC for about a year, and we seem to be a little stuck. Taz has a nice, relaxed, acceptably-for-his-age wide (i.e., not wide enough for any real defined lift, but wide enough so that he gets around his stock) outrun when we're at my trainer's property. However, it's pretty short. I can't seem to (a) consistently lengthen it--he sometimes crosses or charges with too much distance, or ( :rolleyes: transfer this ANYwhere else. He works beautifully for anyone with more experince, so I know the problem is me--my lack of timing, body positioning, etc. I do know I micromanage out there and I'm trying to stop acting on the temptation to stop him every time *I* feel like we're in trouble. He has a nice lie down and solid flanks. But I can't figure out how to get past this, since I basically need time working to develop these skills. Meanwhile, Taz builds bad habits and I feel like we are no closer to our goals than we were six months ago.

I'm the ultimate novice--a city girl with no prior sheep experience, but I'm pretty dedicated. We train two or three times a week. I worked with my crazy BCX for about a year before I got the pup I'm now working with--you'd think I have more of a clue by now, but... I train primarily with an experienced Open handler, but she's having trouble getting me to understand what I need to know to move past this point with Taz.

Any ideas?

Thanks muchly!

Cheers,

Laura

I am having some of the same problems. I am also a total novice with dogs and sheep. I have been working my dog Will for a good bit less time than you and that kind of scares me into thinking I will get into a long time of little progress. The only thing I can say to you as a novice myself is that somewhere along the way it will all click for dog and yourself. I am a coach so the only thing that I have to draw on during these hard traning times is what I have learned as a ball player and coach. Along the way to doing anything worthwhile there will be some hard times when you think maybe I can't do this or that I can't teach this like some others. You get ready to hang it up. I have already had that feeling several times with my traning. But keep working and working and one day it will all come together. At that time is when you look back and say I never thought it would happen. The next dog you coach will be easer for you and the dog. That's is my take from a total novice.

I'm a Novice, too but one thing I learned from my trainer is to step in to correct the dog's "way of thinking" before he/she actually does the undesirable "deed". You have to read and expect what the dog will do next, not wait for it to happen. You may be waiting too long (giving him the benefit of the doubt, "hoping" he'll get it right this time, but inadvertantly letting him get away with the behavior you don't want (which over time becomes a habit) It's like trying to stop a train wreck after the derailment has already happened. This could be why your trainer and other experienced people can work the dog more successfully - they are changing his mindset and therefore his actions before the bad stuff happens, therefore making it easier for him to be successful and correct. Like a lot of things, "Timing is Everything".

One thing that used to help me was to have someone video tape my run or training session. Go back over the tape with your instructor so he/she can point out when you should have been making corrections or the moment things started to go wrong. It really helps a lot to see what you're doing incorrectly (body position,etc).

Good luck.

Renee

Thanks for all of your replies...though the last thing I intended to do is scare off or discourage another novice! Honestly, I think a good part of my problem is that I have zero stock sense, have never even worked with horses, etc. I keep forgetting to pay enough attention to the sheep part of the equation--which means that I don't see why Taz is reacting, so I can't anticipate what he will do. Laurie etc is exactly correct--I wait too long before I *do* anything, hoping it will turn out okay. And, to be honest, it often does turn out okay at my trainer's farm. But this is why I get in trouble at other places, where we don't know the sheep or the landscape is unfamiliar. The videotaping is a fantastic idea, and I'm going to do this right away!

I know it will come if I stick with it--I used to be a whitewater kayaking instructor, and I understand the periods of seemingly no progress and always accompnied by "leaps" of progress if the student sticks with it. Not that I'm thinking of quitting, of course, I guess I just needed to vent my discouragement and see if anyone saw anything obvious I was somehow missing.

I have taped the following message to my fridge, and it's becoming my new mantra:

T.T.T

Put up in a place

where it's easy to see

the cryptic admonishment

T.T.T.

When you feel how depressingly

slowly you climb,

it's well to remember that

Things Take Time.

Cheers,

Laura