BC Boards

Interesting editorial on puppy mill bill

Tommy Coyote

I think she's pretty much got it right. There was a very effective marketing campaign on both sides of the issue. And both sides feel passionately about it.

I hate the idea of more laws on the books when they can't even keep up with what they've got. But on the other hand when the industry and the *cough* self-proclaimed "dog's champion" (aka, the AKC) don't work to police themselves, they're going to get more laws. Because there are places with horendous conditions that no creature should have to live in.

I hate the idea of more laws on the books when they can't even keep up with what they've got. But on the other hand when the industry and the *cough* self-proclaimed "dog's champion" (aka, the AKC) don't work to police themselves, they're going to get more laws. Because there are places with horendous conditions that no creature should have to live in.

Good thing the ABCA is so good at policing their own breeders too and having their best foot forward. The 200+ border collies just taken from an puppymill that produced ABCA register dogs was just a blooper!

I agree with you just don't like the whole naming one industry as bad.

Sorry am in a rush so might need to tweak it to make more sense.

ETA: to fix oddity

Good thing the ABCA is so good at policing their breeders too and having their best foot forward. The 200+ border collies just taken from a ABCA puppymill was just a blooper!

It is my understanding that the ABCA has been looking into a way to deal with high volume breeders. A few years ago several of the mills switched from primarily ABCA registration to AKC registration so that they could fly under the radar. In contrast, the AKC is searching for ways to make life easier for mills to use their services. They have gone so far as to write a computer program to allow mills to quickly register their inventory (AKC's term) in order to increase profits.

Good thing the ABCA is so good at policing their breeders too and having their best foot forward. The 200+ border collies just taken from a ABCA puppymill was just a blooper!

The ABCA does not own or operate puppy mills or any other type of breeding operation.

The ABCA has investigated complaints of inappropriate breeding practices by its members when made aware of them. In some cases, the matter has been referred to local authorities. In others, following the ABCA disciplinary procedures, individuals found to be in violation had their membership revoked and with it their ability to register dogs.

Pearse

I agree with you just don't like the whole naming one industry as bad.

Sorry am in a rush so might need to tweak it to make more sense.

I'll call a spade a spade. The AKC actively lobbies against any sort of high volume breeder legislation. I'll repeat that ANY They didn't like a recent one in Hawaii and for the life of me I can't figure out why. Something unfair to the breeders where you can't have over 20 intact females without a license and you can't stack dogs one on top of another. So they are just as much to blame as anyone for any of these puppymill situations.

The AKC encourages high volume breeders to register with the AKC to increase the value of litters. Becasue "9 out of 10 customers prefer an AKC registered puppy"

The AKC tried to enter into contract with Petland to increase the volume of puppy registrations (AKA money in their pocket)

Yet the banner on the AKC site proudly proclaims that "We're the dog's champion"

huh??? :blink: It sounds to me like a more accurate statement would be "we're the high volume breeder's champion"

Archived