BC Boards

How would you suggest getting started?

Roo

I have a three year old border collie that has basic obedience training and is currently training in agility (close to competing). I am interested in trying my dog at what the breed was originally created for, running sheep. My question is how do you go about doing training for that. Any suggestions on where to find someone to work with? Anyone know anybody in IL? Also I know that this is a big thing for a lot of you and I have a general idea of what it is about but any advice on what to expect if I am going to do try this? Is it highly addictive? lol Any info would be great.

I was wondering where in Illinois you are (as well as SKD's pup)? Bruce and Linda Fogt are located in western Ohio and, if they are within driving range, would be wonderful folks to contact. I'm going to guess that they are about an hour west of Columbus OH.

To know what to expect, you might want to check out my blog listed in my signature/homepage.

I was taught by Jack Knox and competed for several years at various trials. I also did obedience with my dogs. I had a waiting list for puppies every year. My dogs did quite well and I credit it to God giving me the talent, my parents for taking me to Jack Knox's clinics and Jack for teaching me the tricks of the trade.

Now I teach others how to start their dogs, both herding and obedience.

Yes, it's highly addictive!

LittleHats is a very helpful site in general for someone who is just starting out, or thinking about it. There is a wealth of information there, including articles from some of the top trainers and Open handlers in the country. A lot of them are aimed at telling the beginner what to expect and how to get started. Their boards, Little cHats, are not as active as ours, but they do feature an "Ask the Expert" forum, where you can ask any question and get it answered by a top trainer/handler. The current expert is Amanda Milliken, winner of last year's National Open Sheepdog Finals. You might not yet be at the stage where you have a question to ask, but it's still educational to read her answers to others' questions.

Check out the whole site -- I think you'll find it very helpful.

Amanda's stint as the resident expert has been wonderful and i'd encourage anyone to read every post on there. What a great service, from someone with top credentials, and it's FREE to boot. I'd love to see more questions on there. It's great to read for everyone, Novice to Open really. I've certainly heard a ton of positive comments on it, from a wide range of handlers.

Well I say kudos to you for wanting to try . this was something I've wanted to do for a long time, never thought it would ever happen. I've always had BC's, and I just finally bit the bullet and started looking for a trainer. I had to be pretty dedicated as he is about 1 1/2 hrs. drive from me, but it's been worth every bit of driving and $$ spent. My young male that I started with wasn't all that keen on sheep, and I actually ended up buying another pup from my trainer, and she is da bomb as they say. I would just say find someone who knows what they're doing and who's training style you can handle/agree with. I have horses as well, and have a definite idea on how young animals should be trained and worked with. I asked a lot of questions of my trainer before we even got started, to make sure we were on the same page. As an added bonus my trainer turned out to be a great guy, and we have become very close friends with both he and his wife. And above all have FUN! I know I am LOL.