BC Boards

Article on working livestock in the Columbian

There was an article in today's Columbian (Clark County, WA local paper) about a woman's facility where she teaches others to work livestock--mostly sheep, sometimes ducks, and cattle. At first I was incredibly excited to see such an article make the front page of its section, especially since I would LOVE to learn to work stock with Brady one day and having a facility so close would be an absolute DREAM. But I got discouraged (and a little a sad) when it mentioned the owner attending AKC herding events, and that she taught breeds like Rotties to work as well (I always thought Rots were...not the herding type and were more guardian dogs?). I was just wondering what you guys thought about the facility and if you'd heard of the woman before. I would really like to learn to work with my dog and to learn how to work with stock (you guys have really made it sound like such a rewarding, enjoyable activity), but I want to do it right.

Article Here

I think Brigand's Hideout has been mentioned here before, in a mostly positive way. Maybe search the name and see if you can find those other posts?

It's possible trainers are there who concentrate on USBCHA type work, and you would just need to get lessons from them rather than trainers who are focussing on AKC stuff.

J.

I have a friend who lives in Battle Ground, and for years she has recommended Brigand's Hideout for all sorts of training. My friend has an Aussie and a Border Collie, both rescues who are now old and retired. I would give it a try and see how you like it. Especially if you just want to have a great experience with your dog.

Kathy Robbins

I have been to Brigands. I will give you the advice I was given..see Dave and Trudy Vicklund. Dave is an incredibly nice guy, and good with the dogs and seems to know his stuff.

I don't think most people who go there do USBCHA style trials for serious stock work, most either want ACK titles and some just want to work with the livestock for the enjoyment of seeing their dogs work stock. However it is a relatively inexpensive and close to you way to get your dog started, and if you stick with Dave or Trudy they will help you with your foundation work.

There are more herding breeds than just BCs, so they do work with the others. The owner has Bouvs.

If you want to do USBCHA trials, then go to a SUCCESSFUL Open handler....not one that has just run in Open. One who actually places in the top 20% and gone to the Finals, with a proven track record. There are folks who claim (and it is true) that they trial in Open USBCHA BUT they are not successful.

If you want to do other venues then go to a SUCCESSFUL other venue type of person or a successful Open handler.

I see a lot of people who ran a dog or two in Open, with not much success, a few decent placing, then tout themselves as a wonderful trainer.

Also avoid the folks who have tons of students but yet are too busy to trial themselves.

See the trainers successes and not the glitter on the website.

I have never been to the Battleground site but have heard good about it. There are other trainers that fit that bill that I have not heard good things about.

I go to Scott for my lessons and advice. He's not only a great role model but a genuine person too.

He comes down to the Olympia area three times a year....you can drive up and get lessons or clinics from him. He will be back in the Olympia area in August.

I think Dianne Deal http://www.diannedeal.com/ is training in the Portland/Vancouver and Olympia area on a fairly regular basis.....Karen Child http://comebyekennel.com/category/happenings/ is also in Olympia on a monthly basis. I believe that they both offer training at Fidos Farm www.fidosfarm.com

I would contact Dianne or Karen directly to check their schedule or Fidos Farm.

Kathy Knox and Scott Glen are in WA periodically....as well as Norm Close and Don Helsley.

Check out the Events calendars on Oregon Sheepdog Society www.osds.org or Washington http://www.wastockdoghandlers.org/

You can't do much better than this.

I would really like to learn to work with my dog and to learn how to work with stock (you guys have really made it sound like such a rewarding, enjoyable activity), but I want to do it right.

If this is your goal, I would follow the leads Elizabeth (workindogs) gives. I don't know the people you mention, Brady's Mom, but they seem mainly focused on breeds other than border collies, and types of competition that don't particularly measure or reward the development of a dog's innate working ability (if only because they have to reward breeds of dogs which by and large don't HAVE much innate working ability). Border collies are different, they just are, and I would steer clear of trainers who haven't focused primarily on them, and who have not demonstrated mastery in the type of competition that develops and measures border collies' abilities.

When I was just starting out, I thought that I would benefit from going to any trainer who knew more than I did (which was pretty much everybody). That sounds logical, but over time I've learned that it's simply not true. You can be greatly set back by someone who seems to understand it all better than you do but in fact doesn't understand it all that well -- all the more so because, as a beginner, you have very little basis on which to tell good training from bad. There are a couple of things you can probably get from going to an all breed trainer -- you can see if your dog is interested in livestock, and your dog can learn a degree of self-control in the presence of something very exciting to him. But those are fairly ground-floor benefits. If you really think you might want to progress with this and bring out your dog's abilities to their fullest extent, I would look around for something else.

A slight correction, the WASH website indicates Dianne Deal is giving private lessons at a private farm in Yelm (near Olympia).

Both Dianne Deal and Karen Child are both very successful Open handlers and both have a very good history training numerous dog of their own and dogs for others and giving excellent training foundations for beginning to experienced handlers.

I would estimate that "most" PN/Open handlers in the PNW have consulted or trained with Karen at one point or another during their learning process and Open careers (no statistical evidence of this, just my observation over the years).

There are others big name handlers that come to the area regularly, as well.

I guess I'd lean towards what Eileen and Elizabeth say. While this location may have very nice instruction, the website just doesn't lead me to think that they are primarily interested in anything but "hobby herding" and have not seemed to demonstrate ability in the USBCHA venues.

Like Eileen said, it may seem that anyone knows more than you do and therefore you can learn from anyone - but, that philosophy can get you on a path that will not be as productive or rewarding as learning things the right way, the first time, from someone who really knows their stuff and the dogs.

That said, I don't know anything about the place you mention and have no idea how capable or not they are as trainers of Border Collies (and I mean working Border Collies, not those bred for or used for other purposes).

I don't think you could go wrong at all with Scott Glen, Dianne Deal, or Karen Child. They are all very respected, and very nice, from what I hear.

Best wishes!

Archived