BC Boards

Big mistake that turned out OK

Jody ate my steroid ointment prescribed for use on psoriasis on my hands and feet. Fortunately not a strong dose. The vet says it won't hurt him as he's not on any other medications, hasn't had steroids for any reason recently, and doesn't have any immune system conditions.

How in the world? Well, we changed one of our household rules and started allowing him into the formerly off limits bedroom. Since that room had been a dog free zone, I was in the habit of keeping the ointment on the nightstand so I would remember to use it every night. He snuck it off the nightstand and ate it while I was sleeping. When I realized what he'd done, I felt horrible. Thank goodness that is the only medicine that I kept in an accessible place.

I try to be so careful with him. He never goes outside alone. If we go off our property he wears a leash on a harness so he can't slip through a collar. Whe he was little he chewed the harness, so I had a harness leash and a back up collar leash. I told people he was a dual leash stunt dog (like the kites with two strings) He doesn't get to keep toys when they start to wear out. This was the result of one tiny thing overlooked and it could have turned out so badly.

So the incident is not entirely without consequences. Besides needing to replace my $50 prescription, I have got the stinkiest, most fartingest dog ever. This stuff has given him the worst case of gas you can imagine. His poops are normal, but he is like one constant fart. If he takes a deep breath, he poots! Of course his favorite place to lay is on my feet, so none of the rest of the family will stay in the same room with us. It doesn't seem right to isolate him when it's my fault he got the medicine, so we will suffer this together. On the upside, his winter itchies seem to have decreased significantly in the last 24 hours.

I gave him pumpkin on his food last night and I am going to try the coconut and yogurt that I read about on Mr. McKaig's gassy dog thread. I will not forget this anytime soon!

I'm glad Jody pulled thru this incident without too many ill side effects.

My biggest fear is my mom dropping one or more of her prescription drugs on the floor and one of the dogs thinking it's a treat and goes for it. She did that one day. You should have seen how quickly Josie moved to get those "treats". Thank goodness all I had to say was "Aht! Leave it!" My mom feeding the dogs from the kitchen table has been an ongoing problem/battle for the past 5 yrs. (She also takes her pills sitting at said table.) Back in January my mom was hospitalized. While there, they put her on Seroquel. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or the fact she spent over 3 weeks away from home (she went to a Rehab 2 Home facility for 18 days when she left the hospital) or both but I haven't caught her feeding any of the dogs from the table since she's come home.

ETA: I'm not saying you need something like Seroquel. I'm just saying accidents happen. And unfortunately, sometimes it takes an accident to see how it can be avoided. Afterall, we're only human.

ETA: I'm not saying you need something like Seroquel. I'm just saying accidents happen. And unfortunately, sometimes it takes an accident to see how it can be avoided. Afterall, we're only human.

LOL. After you wrote that, I looked up the medication. I'm probably not quite there yet, although some days my teens do drive me to the edge.

You are right about accidents. I had even recently read an article about being sure to keep our medications away from your pets. Human meds are just about the highest source of poisoning for pets. Well, I knew all my pills were put up. It's an old habit from when the kids were babies. I just forgot about this one item. Not only that, but he managed to snag it without disturbing my book, alarm clock, water, jewelry or any other thing on the nightstand.

Archived