BC Boards

car ramp directions

:)I'm thinking about making a ramp to help my older BC get inot the back of my suv more easily for trips to the vet, etc. I was thinking about 2 pieces of wood that could be joined by a hinge with small strips of wood nailed across the plank so he won't slide as he tries to walk up the ramp. Does anyone haev any plans or directions available? I would like to be able to collapse the ramp to keep in the car when not in use. thanks

Have you thought to check out what might be available to order on the internet? I'm thinking that might well be pricier, but you might also find something that would be lighter in weight and more easily moved and set up than wood and hinges.

Good luck!

I got a plastic set of stairs, with supports that fold into the underside, from Bed, Bath n Beyond about 2.5 yrs ago, when my Buzz had to have his leg amputated. It cost around 30 dollars at that time.

I started out with a folding plastic ramp from FreeCycle. The ramp was suprisingly heavy and hard to close, and wouldn't fit into the back of my Toyota Matrix station wagon, even with the middle seat down. The ramp went back to FreeCycle

Found the stairs and never looked back. They are light weight, fit easily when folded, and still work just fine. We did have to teach Buzz to use them, but that took about 5 minutes and some dried liver bits.

I use them daily for Shoshone, who is either 14 or 15, even though some days I feel like she's 50 ;) I do have to balance her as she goes up them, but it's nothing like lifting her a couple times a day would be.

You could probably find out if they still carry them by searching their web site. Good luck!

Ruth

Have you thought to check out what might be available to order on the internet? I'm thinking that might well be pricier, but you might also find something that would be lighter in weight and more easily moved and set up than wood and hinges.

Good luck!

This would be my suggestion, too. I am a hobbiest woodworker and this would be relatively easy, but it would also be bulky and heavy.

If you do it, just use substantial wood (3/4 oak) to cut down flexing and put the hinge on the underside so when it's open, it won't fold down. I wouldn't put the cross pieces on to aid footing, I'd use grip tape like on a skateboard.

Archived