BC Boards

Canine VacciCheck--Titers

Biogal Announces the Launch of the Canine VacciCheck in the USA 1/5/11 PRNewswire http://www.sys-con.com/node/1665681

"We at Biogal see this as an ideal opportunity to present to our customers a product that can assist in reducing over vaccination and subsequent potential adverse reactions for dogs" said Amos Gershony, Biogal's General Manager.

The Canine VacciCheck kit is intended to be used as a diagnostic tool to evaluate the antibody response to the core vaccination or infection by Infectious Canine Hepatitis, Canine Parvovirus and Distemper Virus.

I wsa talking to my vet about titer testing and here is what he told me.

He said that he had just read a report where dogs were tested for Lepto. The testing showed that they had no immunity. But when the bacteria were introduced they all died. The dogs had immunity but the testing didn't show it.

The other case was one they had at their clinic (Eagle Animal in Riverside, Mo). A dog was tested for parvo and showed that it had immunity. One month later the dog came down with parvo.

I'm not a vet. I don't know much about this. But his advice was to get the vaccinations that the titer testing just wasn't accurate.

The published analysis of this product can be found here: J Vet Diagn Invest 18:267270 (2006).

The kit was not correlated to any other titer test.

The kit's results were not correlated to confirmed immunity (virus challenge study).

There was no assessment of false positives.

Veterinary diagnostics are USDA regulated not FDA regulated.

He said that he had just read a report where dogs were tested for Lepto. The testing showed that they had no immunity. But when the bacteria were introduced they all died. The dogs had immunity but the testing didn't show it.

Do you mean the testing showed the dogs did have immunity to a certain strain of lepto, but they died when they were exposed to that same strain of lepto? Otherwise, your post does not make sense.

Back in 1999 I worket at the Vetrinary Genetics Lab at UC Davis for a bit doing intake of samples. The director of the lab at the time was also head of Immunology. One day I had the chance to pick his brain about vaccines and titers. The thing that he said that really struck me was that he didn't recommend titer testing at that time. He said there was just too much they didn't understand about titers (at that point). He pointed out that sometimes they found that an animal can have a hight titer and low immunity or a low titer and strong immunity.

I only worked there for a short bit but I assumed over ten years later maybe they had a better understanding. Still, I don't run titers on my dog. Funny how that stuck with me.

Jennifer

The other case was one they had at their clinic (Eagle Animal in Riverside, Mo). A dog was tested for parvo and showed that it had immunity. One month later the dog came down with parvo.

I'm not a vet. I don't know much about this. But his advice was to get the vaccinations that the titer testing just wasn't accurate.

Tommy Coyote, Not all titer tests are reliable -- and from what the veterinary vaccine research scientists say, leptospirosis is one that is considered to be inaccurate. Distemper, hepatitis, parvo, and rabies titers in dogs are considered to be reliable.

Below is a quote from Drs. W. Jean Dodds and Dr. Ronald Schultz on that subject:

W. Jean Dodds, Ronald Schultz ALL ABOUT VACCINE ISSUES & VACCINATIONS February 2010

Q. Are serum antibody titres useful in determining vaccine immunity?

A. Yes. They are especially useful for CDV, CPV-2 and CAV-1 in the dog, FPV in the cat, and rabies virus in the cat and dog. Rabies titers, however, are often not acceptable to exempt individual animals from mandated rabies boosters in spite of medical justifcation. Serum antibody titers are of limited or no value for (many of) the other vaccines.

Kris,

Their assessment of the reliability of titer tests will only be valid for the exact titer tests (reagents and protocols) they evaluated using challenge of immunity studies (the gold standard) or correlated to titer tests that were evaluated with challenge of immunity studies. This may or may no hold true for all test kits for these analytes.

BTW the correlation of serology and challenge of immunity has only been performed at 3 years post vaccination by vaccine manufacturers (in order to have vaccines listed for 3 year DOI). People are extrapolating beyond 3 years post vaccination.

http://cp.vetlearn.c...VTX_06_01_5.pdf

http://jarvm.com/art...MVol2No4rev.pdf

Mark

Do you mean the testing showed the dogs did have immunity to a certain strain of lepto, but they died when they were exposed to that same strain of lepto? Otherwise, your post does not make sense.

Sorry. Bad wording. The dogs didn't die - the Lepto did. The test showed the dogs had no immunity to the Lepto but when the Lepto was introduced the bacteria died. The dogs did have immunity.

Their assessment of the reliability of titer tests will only be valid for the exact titer tests (reagents and protocols) they evaluated using challenge of immunity studies (the gold standard) or correlated to titer tests that were evaluated with challenge of immunity studies. This may or may no hold true for all test kits for these analytes.

Mark,

This statement was made before the VacciCheck kit came out and I believe only refers to laboratory titer tests, which for distemper, hepatitis, parvo, and rabies they believe are reliable.

Dr. Ronald Schultz of The Rabies Challenge Fund tested the VacciCheck titer product for the USDA and said that it "worked well."

Kris

In human diagnostics, the FDA requires new tests to be correlated to the established "gold standard" test before the FDA will allow it to be marketed.

It does not appear that the USDA not required this of this veterinary test.

You would have to ask Dr. Schultz what the USDA required for a standard for testing this product.

None of the references provided indicated that this test was correlated to the accepted laboratory tests for measuring antibodies to these viruses.

As far as I can tell, simply showing an increase in assay signal was considered sufficient to indicate the test was working well.

• 2 weeks later...

None of the references provided indicated that this test was correlated to the accepted laboratory tests for measuring antibodies to these viruses.

As far as I can tell, simply showing an increase in assay signal was considered sufficient to indicate the test was working well.

Mark, here's the link to Dr. Schultz's Summary Results on his testing of VacciCheck http://www.biogal.co.il/uploads/contents/documents/pdf/Articles/Study-CanineVacciCheckKit.pdf , and here's a link to their canine instruction manual http://www.biogal.co.il/Uploads/Contents/documents/pdf/CompanionAnimals/MICVV111.021108.pdf .

Archived