BC Boards

Curious

Pam Wolf

OK, say you know of a problem in a line of dogs such as deafness. What would you do when you know of a litter being bred that comes fromdogs which have a problem in their lines. Would you appreciateknowing that the lines have produced a problem or would you be angry that someont posted you privately about the possible problem

Ex: You know of dogs in a particular line with a problem such as deafness. You learn someone is breeding a litter with the same lines (siblings/half siblings of affected dogs). How would you react to learning that your lines had such a problem in them? Would you appreciate the knowledge? Or would you threaten the preson who told you of the problem in your lines with a law suite. (remember this would be a private post, not on a public forum). Would you want to know of a possible problem?

I hope this is clear.

I think that anyone who was responsible about breeding would want to know of a potential problem, and see nothing wrong with any sort of private correspondence about it. However, not everyone is responsible...

So the person planning on the breeding (or already having done the breeding) doesn't know about the problem? I would certainly want to know!

A

This is actually based on a real incident encountered by a friend. He told someone that he know of deaf dogs in the lines that another 'breeder' was planning. The 'breeder' threatened a lawsuite. Apparently early onset deafness is becoming quite a problem in some of the working lines. Wit an attitude like this 'breeder' ( I hesitate to call them such) then it is no onder people keep such information private.

I agree that the vehemence of the reply indicates that they know of a problem in the line but value the $$$ too much.

What could the basis of a suit possibly be if a) this was private communication and b ) the information is provably true? Maybe one of the lawyers here could answer, but it sounds like an empty threat to me. ???

OK, say you know of a problem in a line of dogs such as deafness. What would you do when you know of a litter being bred that comes fromdogs which have a problem in their lines. Would you appreciateknowing that the lines have produced a problem or would you be angry that someont posted you privately about the possible problem

Something to consider, what is the relationship between the breeder and the person you are telling, how much of a groupee or follower is the person? Pointing out the issue may be as good as attacking their god.

What would be nice is if there was a website that listed not only the pedigrees of deaf dogs, but epileptic ones as well. It's too bad that breeders have such a negative reaction -- almost as if taking it personally -- when their dogs turn up with a health issue. I know the show dog people tried to do a voluntary health listing on the Border Collie Health website, but unfortunately, it seems to have turned out to be yet another brag page -- only this time for owners/breeders with dogs with a clean bill of health.

Personally if I were planning to breed a litter and someone knew something I didn't know about a genetic issue that could affect the offspring of that litter, I would certainly want to know. But I'd also want specifics and not just some general comment about, say, deafness. A good breeder should do that research, as much as possible, but as others said, sometimes that stuff is kept hushed up, so I for one would appreciate a warning. At least then I can make a more informed decision regarding the potential cross.

I think it is unfortunate that people deliberately breed dogs with known or suspected problems and then say nothing to puppy buyers. I don't a problem with a breeder taking a chance on a cross (assuming the working genetics are so good that it would be a loss not to try the breeding) if that breeder also informs all of the puppy buyers of the potential for something like early-onset deafness (or whatever the issue might be).

I agree with the others that the response Pam described is a sign of someone who is clearly putting income ahead of ethics.

J.

Archived