BC Boards

FAT foster dog

D'Elle

Depends on the vet. Some will suggest it for every minor issue that comes up...

That's exactly what I mean.

Oh and D'Elle, my foster is fatter than yours! Though the big lump of blubber is beginning to join in with the "chase me" sessions at the park and can manage more balls between his flop-down-and-pant breaks. We're moving in the right direction.

Along with the increase in exercise and reducing the bulk of dog food they get...something that was sudjested to me years ago was adding in a few spoonfuls to a half can of canned green beans or pumkin...the dog is still getting some bulk in there, without the extra calories plus both the green beans and pumpkin are very filling...

I use just the canned cut green beans, low sodium...any brand of canned pumpkin works well...

my foster (whom I ended up adopting) was alittle "fluffy" when I got him as well.

I simply put him on the amount of food my other dogs get (cup and a half of diamons naturals Lamb and Rice AM and PM) and started taking him outside when I fed and working the horses. he has slimmed down significantly. :)

Oh and D'Elle, my foster is fatter than yours! Though the big lump of blubber is beginning to join in with the "chase me" sessions at the park and can manage more balls between his flop-down-and-pant breaks. We're moving in the right direction.

Wow. I am glad Brody isn't any fatter than he is. But I am encouraged because he is doing his best to run and keep up with my dogs in our play sessions. He'll be taking the weight off, no doubt about it.

He does scratch a great deal. He came to me clean, looking just-bathed. I have gone over him carefully and do not see anything but nice healthy clean skin underneath all that fur. No reddish places, nothing at all. I have been brushing him and getting a lot of undercoat off him. Yet still he scratches and scratches. I wonder if it is anxiety making him scratch?

He licks his paws a lot, too, but both of my dogs do that as well and I just figure it's something they like to do, no harm in it because they never make a raw spot or anything even close to that. I don't worry about paw licking, but am a bit perturbed by the scratching. Considering giving him another bath......maybe his skin didn't like the shampoo used.........(??)

D'Elle

My dog has seasonal allergies. The first sign that we're up for a bout of allergy is paw licking. Then scratching - especially the face. We haven't identified the specific allergen, but it's something that blooms here in the mid to late summer, probably weeds or grasses.

Her skin also looks fine, but she will chew the hair off her paws. Avoiding tall-grass hillsides and occasionally a little prednisone will sort her for the two months or so that she's affected.

Hmmm. Yeah, I just talked to my vet (a wonderful woman who is willing to answer questions on the phone if she is not too busy). She said the scratching could be allergy or could be something the previous vet decided to call OCD and prescribed Prozac fot it. So who knows. I did get her advice on weaning the dog off the meds.

Archived