BC Boards

More lumps & bumps

bn_here_b4

Jody had a couple bumps that we attributed to bug bites. At that time the vet treated him with a steroid shot for itching and we watched for changes. This was a few months ago. No other symptoms were associated with the bumps.

Over the last week or so he has had a recurremce with probably 30 - 40 bumps that the vet said were hives. They are on his back and the outsides of his back legs. No occurrences are on his head, underside or front quarters. He is itchy but not obsessively so. There are no fleas on him. None of our other pets have any similar symptoms, so bug bites seems unlikely at this point. They all have the run of the whole house so it seems like I would see bites on someone else if there were spiders or something bitimg Jody.

Before going to the vet yesterday I did a bunch of research about why dogs would get bumps. I specifically asked about several causes imcluding mast cell and cysts and other cancers. In each of those she said she thought it unlikely as there were missing symptoms.

The original occurrence happened right after he got his home again microchip. I intend to call the vet back today and ask her if she thinks there could be a connection. I also wanted to ask for opinions and experiences here. Has anyone ever experienced a dog with a reaction to the microchip?

Thanks for your ideas.

Cherrie

Julie, the vet said the pattern was significant in that it helped her to lean toward a diagnosis of allergy rather than to something scarier. Evidently the fact that there is nothing on his head, no sores in the mouth, and no bumps on the underside or in the arm and leg pits is a good sign. Leg pits, is that even an anatomical term? LOL

He is eating, playing, peeing and pooping normally. No unusual change in weight. The hives don't burst or drain any fluids. Really strange. Once the vet said she thinks it is allergy related, I started trying to figure out what in his environment had changed. Everything seems to be a potential culprit. When you mentioned mold, I remembered that he has been rolling in the leaves a lot, and we have had some rain, and the leaves are piled up so they are probably moldy underneath...

Yes, we are going to try the leaf quarantine. I gave him a bath tonight to get rid of any residual stuff that may be on his skin. I didn't want to use the dog shampoo as it is a flea shampoo and I wanted to avoid additioanl irritation on his skin. Instead I used some Burt's Bees gentle shampoo. Now he will be fluffy with a moisturized, voluminous coat. It was the gentlest stuff I had on hand. I hope it is OK. Before the bath, he was scratching a lot, but he seems to be feeling a little relief right now. He is laying quietly watching everything I am doing as usual.

I considered giving him an Aveeno oatmeal soak, but that would probably never come out of his fur and I don't want his coat to be all caked up with oatmeal goop. The things that dog will let me do to him never cease to amaze me! OK, I am really kidding about the oatmeal soak. Though the idea crossed my mind it was rejected right away. Maybe if it wasn't winter and I could do it outside...

Cherrie

Cherrie,

There are oatmeal shampoos for dogs that you could use if you find you need to in the future.

J.

That's what we use on Scooter and it seems to have helped. He's always been an allergic type (like me). :lol:

I am going to buy some the next time I go to the animal supply store. It was late when I bathed him so I was looking for whatever was on hand.

I was looking at all my favorite stuff to see what might help some of my thought processes got pretty silly. I just wanted to make him feel better.

Archived