BC Boards

White Border Collies?[Photos Included]

OK What's with the Rocky name for white dogs :rolleyes:

Your Rocky and mine have the same markings except my boy has drop ears and a little shorter coat...dang I wish I knew how to do this digital photo stuff!!! And yes same light tan on his face too, ticking not quite as abundant yet...

BC4PACK: I'd love to see a pic when you get one up!

Lance: Bandit and Rocky look like brothers...it's amazing! And our first B/C was named Bandit...how funny!

Yes, Rocky's name comes from the beatles song, "Rocky Raccoon" and also Rocky Top Tennessee. We got him from a breeder in TN and he looked just like a raccoon when he was a pup! Here he is with his younger brother, Sport. He's from the same parents, but born a year later.

DSC01706.jpg

She is 100% normal and a typical BC, but her full brother and sister from another litter were deaf. Once this happened I naturally began researching these white BC's. The lack of pigment in the hair in their ears can make them deaf. So, now that I know what white factored looks like, I'll never cross 2 white factored dogs again...Wow! I've been told that the way you can tell they are white factored is by looking at the white running up their hindlegs into their flanks. That's why I'm here. To soak up any knowledge I can about this incredible breed.
You've bred how many litters and for what justifiable reasons? And produced deaf pups because you didn't know any better? It sounds like you didn't do much research at all before producing pups, but perhaps I'm jumping to conclusions.

I hope the first thing you did when you joined the boards was read the "Read This First" sticky at the top, and realize now that breeding for anything but real, proven working ability in physically and tempermentally sound parents is irresponsible breeding when it comes to Border Collies. And I'm grateful that you are here to learn and hopefully you will understand how harmful breeding "for the wrong reasons" is with regards to the breed.

Maybe I'm over-reacting...

Sue R: I don't think you're overreacting at all! I agree 100%. Too many of these dogs are being bred for ALL the wrong reasons,

Anna

Sue, yes, unfortunatley I started breeding for all the idiotic reasons alot of people do... I confess... I just wanted puppies. I was completely ignorant to the fact that what I was doing was harmful to the integrity and instincts of the breed. I have learned so much in the past year about this breed and am fully commited to making up for all my mistakes and hopefully educating others to keep them from making the same mistakes that I made. I have never been around people that are so commited and compassionate about this wonderful breed and it has inspired me to be the best I can be in order to keep the breed the best it can be. I have found my true passion in these amazing Border Collies. I have learned that everyone that is truly passionate about the breed is very defensive and with good reason. Just know that I understand completely where you are coming from and the reason I posted was that I wanted to educate at least one other person to prevent them from making the same mistake. I just wish someone had been there to tell me.

We all make mistakes in life and I'm very guilty of my share. I'm glad to hear that you have learned here and have a commitment to the breed. It is gratifying that you are honest enough to admit to your mistakes (we should all be so honest) and are willing to share your experience to help educate others. Education and sharing is what these boards are all about.

Best wishes!