BC Boards

Boarding

We also had bad experiences boarding our dogs. Soooo... our solution was to take the house with us. :lol:

IntheBlackHillsofSouthDakotaMedium.jpg

Ahhhh....if ONLY....maybe someday. I am not much of a traveler. I got Gilly in 1999 (my first dog) and I have left her-- exactly once-- with my then roommate for 4 days (I was forced to go to my sister's wedding in Las Vegas :blink: of all places). Prior to that, and ever since, if my dogs don't go then I don't go. I'm sure this only works because I am boring & never go anywhere if it is not a herding trial or clinic :D

I just couldn't sit here and not respond. I actually OWN a boarding kennel. I run it from my home. I work ALL the time. It is hard work, 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. Most of the dogs I keep LOVE it here. Quite frankly, they probably get more attention here than at home. Most pet people don't spend the time with their dogs that the majority of the people here do. I work really hard to make it a nice, small place. Quite frankly, "cage free" is a big fat gimmick to make people feel less guilty about leaving their dogs.

I will NOT deal with the aggressive dogs, nor the excessive barkers. There are exceptions to the rule, but most of these problems stem from the owner's lack of training/socialization. And as far as the "illnesses" that lurk in "those places," do you change your shoes or disinfect them between the homes? How do you know you aren't bringing something onto someone elses property? My runs get disinfected and cleaned, more so than my own house to be honest. Not all pet sitters are the exact same either. It is rather obtuse to lump all of anything into one limited category.

I certainly did not mean to offend you. But I don't know of one kennel in my area that I would feel OK about referring anyone to. They certainly don't care for animals like you care for yours. And I have just heard so many horrible stories from my customers - even from kennels that are supposed to be the good ones. And the kennels around here have gotten so expensive. I think Eagle Animal is at $25 a day or more for the larger dogs. Pete and Macs is the big fancy expensive outfit here and they charge a daily fee plus additional amounts for every single separate thing - like giving treats even. They are unbelievably expensive. And the dogs there still come home completely stressed out. One of the kennels here is run by an alcoholic that has a history of just plain old animal abuse and cruelty.

I do think that if someone started a kennel like the one you describe they might be able to really do very well.

I certainly did not mean to offend you. But I don't know of one kennel in my area that I would feel OK about referring anyone to. They certainly don't care for animals like you care for yours. And I have just heard so many horrible stories from my customers - even from kennels that are supposed to be the good ones. And the kennels around here have gotten so expensive. I think Eagle Animal is at $25 a day or more for the larger dogs. Pete and Macs is the big fancy expensive outfit here and they charge a daily fee plus additional amounts for every single separate thing - like giving treats even. They are unbelievably expensive. And the dogs there still come home completely stressed out. One of the kennels here is run by an alcoholic that has a history of just plain old animal abuse and cruelty.

I do think that if someone started a kennel like the one you describe they might be able to really do very well.

$35 a day for the local kennels here in Connecticut. Beyond expensive, and having worked in one, boarded in another, and knowing two people who worked in the third and fourth, I would have a hard time finding a place that I was comfortable leaving my dogs.

I suppose I am in the minority in the type of kennel I like..I work in a kennel and I am VERY comfortable leaving my dogs there, and it is not even close the the type of kennel most of you describe as prefering lol I would absolutly hate to leave my dogs in a boarding kennel that just kepts the dogs in runs the whole time, we have several of those here, I wouldnt leave my dogs in them if you paid me! I am not interested in keeping my pets locked in a bubble thanks. my dogs come there with me to work, I leave them there when I go out of town, I leave them there when I go on daytrips etc... I used to get sooo anxious when I left my dogs at home with petsitters and friends, its was nervewracking, now I feel totally comfortable to enjoy myself.

I used to work at a resort when I lived in Vermont. One of the guests rented a condo for a summer. While there, she wanted to go away for a weekend where her dog was not allowed. She hired me to come to her home and stay there for the whole weekend, just to watch her dog. She liked and trusted me, but did not want her dog out of his familiar home thus I just stayed at her house. The dog was happy (someone new to pet him and walk him and give treats!), the owner was happy, and I had had access to some very nice amenities for a weekend, so I was happy. It was a win-win situation. If I had to leave Whisper at home, I would do the same--she is not the sort of dog you would want to see at a kennel; there would be injured dogs!

My partners family have operated a boarding kennel for over 35 years. They refuse to have a common area for the visiting dogs as it is too dangerous for the dogs. I work in the kennels everyday and I see happy animals who are not stressed. Each dog has a covered heated run with an inner enclosed room and sleeping platform. They can see their neighbours but cannot touch. A lot of dogs in urban areas, especially the ones from single dog homes, rarely get to interact safely with a large group of other dogs. They LIKE the kennels, it's very exciting with all the sights, smells and commotion, not to mention that 130 sheep often graze within their view.

My experience is that owners are convinced that Rover will absolutely pine away at the horror of being 'abandoned'. Instead, I see dogs who are actively enjoying socializing with their neighbours. The dogs seem to enjoy themselves and are for the most part quiet and not stressed. They figure out the routine very quickly. Some of our regulars have to be convinced to leave the building when their stay is over. All summer I've only dealt with one dog that was truly miserable for the time it was there.

We scrub everything thoroughly, pens, bowls, platforms every day and require a health history contract to be signed before accepting a dog for care. My own 4 dogs are quite happy with being kenneled as needed and that convinces me that we are providing a comfortable and stress free environment for our visiting friends.

We are currently scaling back as the older memebers of the family can no longer be involved due to their health. I love the dogs, but the demands of the owners can be extreme. Putting the dog in the kennel is oftent he last chore of a frazzled start to a vacation. Couple that with the guilt of leaving your pet and many of our customers are in an irritable state when they arrive with Rover.

I guess I am incredibly fortunate. If we are going someplace on vacation, our vet will not allow us to board Annie; she takes her at her office instead. During the weekdays, Annie gets constant attention from the staff (all of whom love and spoil her) and (if no other animals are in the waiting are) gets to patrol the vicinity and socialize with the staff; at night, someone checks up on her regularly (one of the staff lives in the same building as the office). If the stay extends into the weekend (very rare), the vet takes Annie home to her farm to play with her ACD's and socialize with the livestock.

I've boarded my dogs twice in 10 years - at the same kennel. My vet recommended the kennel, I checked it out through the BBB and a personal walk-thru. I was encouraged to bring a dirty towel with my scent for each dog as well as their own food (the kennel fed a different brand). The 3 dogs were boarded together in a 8x12 kennel with access to an outside run plus they had 3 exercise periods each day. I also had a friend drop by and check on them one day. When I returned a week later, they were healthy, had not lost weight, and were playful with the attendants who brought them to me. I did bathe them because they had a slight antiseptic smell which I assumed was from the cleaner used in the kennels but none of them were dirty-smelling. I wouldn't hesitate to use this kennel again.

On the flip side, I have heard some horror stories about 2 other kennels in the area.

Archived