BC Boards

Sending dog to Hawaii

Shoofly

Hey guys -

Has anyone here ever shipped a dog to Hawaii? I'm trying to place my retired Open dog Ben and have an inquiry from someone on Oahu. Sounds like a great fit but sure is one loooooong way from North Carolina. What's the process, anyone know?

Hi Robin,

I manage an animal hospital and do some work with international and hawaii shipping/health certificates. Frankly- Hawaii is a bitch (pun intended to handle but it has vastly improved in the last year. To avoid quarantine at all- the process needs to be started about 5-6 months before hand. You will want to get the official checklist from the Hawaii Quarantine Station (sorry don't have the number here at home but they do have a website -

http://www.hawaiiag.org/hdoa/ai_aqs_info.htm

I believe the dog must have had at least two rabies vaccinations (original, signed certificates must be provided)within a certain amount of time. The dog must be microchipped and at least 2-3 weeks after its most recent rabies vaccine, will need to have an OIE-FAVN Rabies titer pulled. The clock for arrival starts when the bloodwork arrives at the appropriate lab (we use ANTECH- which sends to KSU)- 120 days after the lab receives the blood work- the dog can arrive in Hawaii (provided it passes the titer). If you want to send the dog sooner, it would have to go through a 30-90 day quarantine. Dogs microchip must be done before the labwork. There is a variety of owner statements and other paperwork that must be submitted to Hawaii 14 days before arrival, plus a health certificate for the airline as well. The dog must be treated with Frontline or similar product (Revolution is not acceptable) and your vet must write that on the certificates. I believe its about $225 fee you pay Hawaii- more if the dog goes through quarantine. That is the general outline of the process- there is alot to it and they (Hawaii) are good about sending you all the stuff. I think you can even print stuff off their website.

I think i should get to go to Hawaii too! :rolleyes:

Thanks Jaime, for the info. I think I'm going to pass on sending him off so far. It sounds like a great home but i'm hoping to place him sooner than the 120 day waiting period. I guess i'll keep looking.