BC Boards

Faansie

Tea

Got a couple of lessons frpm Faansie Basson which I kinda lucked out on as someone didn't show up, and the clinic was on the island. If you ever get to work with him I reccommend it. He is a practical and kind teacher.

He also has a DVD out now.

Oh, :rolleyes:

He said to Sweep, "Welcome to Africa!"

We talked about gathering in the brush and on narrow trails. Something that Gunny and Taw are good at and Sweep kicks off into the brush. He thought Sweep would figure this out with time. Not something you run into on a trial course. (At least I haven't yet.) And about working close in Stock trailers etc.

We worked on Balance- he stresses that you must work on the balance after every time you go to the sheep. And that Sweep needed to be further out on open land. Something that he would recognise after a while since he works a flock of 60 to 120 mostly as a job in the forest.

He was most practical about the fact that the dogs were for the work. He himself raises sheep in S Africa and I guess runs about 6000 head, I think Merinos and crosses. It is very open dry country.

But Balance he stressed. One thing he did have me do that I always thought was the right idea is letting the dog work. He had me do silent gathers which I and the broom love to do. Then when working on balance saying very little. As you Gloria know I am like that at home. I want the dog to be like that because I cannot see him in the forest or tall brush.

We also worked on feel. By making Sweep think about these sheep we were working and how they needed to be handled. This he taught by the balance. He would have Sweep gather and if he didn't think about this he would have me go through the sheep and stop him. Or in the paddock while continuosly moving block the dog at the side of the sheep then go the other way if he was pushy. Hard to explain on the boards but it is on his dvd.

He liked Sweep.

With Taw, who was.....I guess just slow that day, he thought she had not really turned on yet but he liked her. she can be a bit clappy he had me keep her moving and get in there and stir things up when she is slow.

But what I have also found with Taw is if its moving the ram flock outside or anything outside she is right on the ball.

But it was the balance and obedience in the laying down whistle that I came away with, the silent work and feel and the dogs are for the work.

Hey thanks for photos on facebook! You took pictures from horseback!

• 2 weeks later...

All that sounds great, Tea! I honestly never heard of Faansie until these boards (does his name rhyme with "fancy?") but he sounds like he knows his stuff. I would have enjoyed sitting in even as an auditor on his clinic.

I wonder if the "silent" stuff is a bit like something a sheepdogging friend of mine had me do with Nick, a while back. She had me just to "walkabout" as she called it, fetching the sheep up and down, back and forth her pasture without saying a word to Nick. The idea being that he became more aware of his balance point and how to feel his sheep, more. It really did seem to help Nick settle in and pace himself more.

Funny about your working in the woods being so unlike any trial situation: I've practiced with Nick in very tall grass in my Aussie friend's pasture, which at first drove Nick NUTS, being unable to see his sheep. But I noticed he settled right down to working in your tall stuff, during our visit. :rolleyes:

Anyhow. It sounds like you had an excellent clinic and I wish I could have gotten his take on Nick and the things he might have thought Nick needs to work on. (Like improving our stop.) I'm glad he liked the Broom! Sweep is an awfully good boy. :D

Cheers ~

Gloria

Faansie's name is pronounced "Fonzie," like in Happy Days. He has a new DVD out on putting a good foundation on a stockdog, and it is excellent. It is available at Border Collies in Action.

Where is it on Border Collie in Action?? I have gone thru all of the DVD's and I don't find it.

Kathy

Where is it on Border Collie in Action?? I have gone thru all of the DVD's and I don't find it.

Kathy

It's probably not on the site yet because Faansie just gave the DVDs to Hope at Meeker, and she's going straight to the Finals. I imagine the DVD will be listed at the end of September when Hope gets back to Wyoming.

It's probably not on the site yet because Faansie just gave the DVDs to Hope at Meeker, and she's going straight to the Finals. I imagine the DVD will be listed at the end of September when Hope gets back to Wyoming.

Okay, cuz I looked all over the site and couldn't find them and that would explain why.

Kathy

Archived