BC Boards

Introducing Mr. Louis Armstrong

I posted several months ago about wanting to get a BC puppy. Someone recommended BC rescue groups which was a great idea but the person who runs a BC rescue group in my area proved very erratic and extremely odd and unreliable so I looked elsewhere. A general rescue group had Louis and we picked him up two weeks ago. He is a good eight month old pup. Issues included separation anxiety and being very needy. He wants to be hugged ALL the time! Love to play with other dogs and running around. Not showing great affinity for fetching, isn't that weird? Right now, we are ALL going crazy because Louis was just neutered and had other surgery required sutures and he is on reduced activity under doctor's orders. He feels fine and wants to bounce off walls! When the week is out, he should be fine and obedience training and rough housing may resume.

The last third of Louis' hair ressembles very much that of a Australian Shepherd. A friend finds him pointy and thinks he has some collie (as in Lassie) in him. He's a bit too small to be a pure breed BC I think. Only 30 lbs for a male.

Anyway, thanks for the advice all those months ago...

46159_479513060872_557925872_6804510_6146275_n.jpg

It's impossible to say for sure, but he looks like a border collie, especially in your other thread, the photo with him in his dog bed. I'm not seeing Lassie collie at all. He's very cute and I hope you enjoy him!

PS. Being 30 lbs and a male does not preclude him from being purebred. I have two males, one I'm 100% sure is purebred, and one who is "close enough" for me to call him a border collie, and they both weigh about 30-31 lbs. A friend also has a known purebred male who weighs 28 lbs.

He looks like a great pup....the fetching thing isn't exactly hardwired --

You could start by gently tossing him the ball while he's on a six foot lead, as he catches it reel him in, exchange the ball for a treat and a "good boy" kind of thing....keep it quiet and easy. Add the cue word, i.e. "fetch!" then put him on a longer lead and continue the routine. He'll get the idea pretty quick that he should bring the ball back. And you'll be sorry, because once you pick up a ball around a Border Collie that has learned the game of fetch, you've got a job for life :rolleyes:.

Liz

I posted several months ago about wanting to get a BC puppy. Someone recommended BC rescue groups which was a great idea but the person who runs a BC rescue group in my area proved very erratic and extremely odd and unreliable so I looked elsewhere. A general rescue group had Louis and we picked him up two weeks ago. He is a good eight month old pup. Issues included separation anxiety and being very needy. He wants to be hugged ALL the time! Love to play with other dogs and running around. Not showing great affinity for fetching, isn't that weird? Right now, we are ALL going crazy because Louis was just neutered and had other surgery required sutures and he is on reduced activity under doctor's orders. He feels fine and wants to bounce off walls! When the week is out, he should be fine and obedience training and rough housing may resume.

The last third of Louis' hair ressembles very much that of a Australian Shepherd. A friend finds him pointy and thinks he has some collie (as in Lassie) in him. He's a bit too small to be a pure breed BC I think. Only 30 lbs for a male.

Anyway, thanks for the advice all those months ago...

46159_479513060872_557925872_6804510_6146275_n.jpg

Thank you all. I'm still jittery about this new addition to the family.

ejano: would you believe he started to fetch yesterday like it was nothing? He loses interest after a few tries but we're rewarding him and he's catching on to the idea that fetching is a good thing.

Dogs never cease to amaze me. Thank you for your advice!

They are fun and you've got him at just the time when he's great fun. Try to stop any game before he loses interest; that way you're in charge...and you'll leave him wanting more...though I'm not certain why :rolleyes: I'm just a tad cynical because our Ladybug is such a ball freak!

We have to monitor her when we have guests because she'll go from person to person begging for them to throw the ball and she won't quit when she's tired (she's rising ten years old). I put her in the back bedroom during one of our family get togethers for just that reason but forgot to draw the drapes and my silly brother in law saw her peering sadly out of the window and thought he'd make her "feel better" by tossing the ball up in the air and catching it in front of the window where she could see it -- she about went through the window trying to get to the ball. She's got a ball stashed in every room and whenever anyone is about to take their ease, or there is some small thing to celebrate, she suggests a rousing game of fetch... she'll toss it around like a child does, hoping to raise someone's interest ...during one Sunday dinner it ended up in the mashed potatoes!

Liz

Thank you all. I'm still jittery about this new addition to the family.

ejano: would you believe he started to fetch yesterday like it was nothing? He loses interest after a few tries but we're rewarding him and he's catching on to the idea that fetching is a good thing.

Dogs never cease to amaze me. Thank you for your advice!

Louis looks sooooo much like my pup Nico, and kind of sounds like him too. He's the adult dog in the first picture and he's about 8 months old in the second picture below. He wasn't instantly into balls or swimming and now he loves both. He also developed a crouch and an eye since I first got him, and his personality quirks and hobbies continue to change.

The bf and I are in the middle of an international move right now and he is glued to our side or jumping in the car every chance he gets.

IMG_1154.JPG

photo(2).JPG

Louis is adorable. Love the name!

Meg (adopted at 2 yrs old in April) took a couple weeks to catch on to fetch. She had the chasing part down, but was clueless to the whole pick it up and bring it back part. It took her a couple months to catch on to Frisbee...she just wasn't interested in that flat round thing. Then one day my lab mix decided to step up and show her how its done (Frisbee and fetch are not his thing...I think he just got tired of watching her not 'get it'...lol). He caught and brought back the Frisbee twice and it just clicked for Meg that the Frisbee was a toy. Now it's her favorite thing to play in the yard.

Sorry for the delay. Louis feels like having a baby. After three weeks, my life is still a bit upside down. I appreciate the comments, sorry again.

Update: Louis was chewing everything the first few days but now I'm thinking it was nerves because apart from short stints with his Kong and tug-of-war at play time, he's stopped chewing altogether. Famous last words?

I was worried about not being able to contain the famous BC high energy but he seems content with the level of activity he is getting now. I also need to get used to how much he likes to play rough with other dogs. He's not aggressive but he is dominant and I can tell it makes other dog owners nervous. Since neutering, he's almost completely stopped humping. Another step in the right direction. He also plays rough with the cat and the cat thinks he's a bear and he can take a BC, no problem. The cat goads Louis early morning and late night. We call it amok time. This may not end well but so far, so good.

My only big problem with Louis is that he doesn't seem to understand that he's being scolded when he's is being scolded. Doesn't register at all. I don't want to get physical or yell at him. I just use a firm voice. Anyway, now that he has recovered from surgery, obedience training beckons!

I put her in the back bedroom during one of our family get togethers for just that reason but forgot to draw the drapes and my silly brother in law saw her peering sadly out of the window and thought he'd make her "feel better" by tossing the ball up in the air and catching it in front of the window where she could see it -- she about went through the window trying to get to the ball. She's got a ball stashed in every room and whenever anyone is about to take their ease, or there is some small thing to celebrate, she suggests a rousing game of fetch... she'll toss it around like a child does, hoping to raise someone's interest ...during one Sunday dinner it ended up in the mashed potatoes!

Liz

Thank you for your comment.

Poor pooch! I hope she didn't hurt herself. I think you're dog is very smart to have his own "stash" in every room.

Louis loses interest in fetching quickly when I don't give him treats upon return of object.

Louis looks sooooo much like my pup Nico, and kind of sounds like him too. He's the adult dog in the first picture and he's about 8 months old in the second picture below. He wasn't instantly into balls or swimming and now he loves both. He also developed a crouch and an eye since I first got him, and his personality quirks and hobbies continue to change.

The bf and I are in the middle of an international move right now and he is glued to our side or jumping in the car every chance he gets.

IMG_1154.JPG

photo(2).JPG

Thank you for your comment and the pics!

OMG! They look very much alike. Beautiful boys and beautiful pics! That's interesting because Louis doesn't the crouch or the eye yet.

Louis is adorable. Love the name!

Meg (adopted at 2 yrs old in April) took a couple weeks to catch on to fetch. She had the chasing part down, but was clueless to the whole pick it up and bring it back part. It took her a couple months to catch on to Frisbee...she just wasn't interested in that flat round thing. Then one day my lab mix decided to step up and show her how its done (Frisbee and fetch are not his thing...I think he just got tired of watching her not 'get it'...lol). He caught and brought back the Frisbee twice and it just clicked for Meg that the Frisbee was a toy. Now it's her favorite thing to play in the yard.

Thank you for your comment

We took Louis on a beach trip over the weekend and he just runs after frisbees and has trouble picking them up. He loves them but it's hilarious to watch how awkward he is about picking them up and running with them though.

Archived