BC Boards

The perfect novice dog

SoloRiver

Just a simple question for the experienced and not-so-experienced handlers. What traits are most desirable in a first working dog? How does a novice handler go about selecting a dog to train, work, and trial with?

I think I was extrodinarily lucky when I got Molly as my first dog.

She was remarkably patient with me. For the first five years of her life, we flubbed around and tried to learn how to work together. I tried this, that, and the other, and she went along with it all just as willing to experiment as I was -- knowing she had the answers but needing me to ask the questions.

Once I started to ask the questions, she showed me that she did indeed have the answers, and helped me to figure out what the other questions might be, until we were at the point where we were working out the answers together.

She was willing to unlearn a lot of the nonsense I taught her in her younger days. She took me from novice-novice to open in two years, once I got my head screwed on straight.

Through it all, she has been a boon companion to me. I have seen her limitations, which are very real, but considering what we went through together, they are irrelevant.

She's getting a little too old for hard work now. Although she loves helping out with the chores, she also doesn't mind spending her afternoons on the couch. There are young dogs coming up and taking over her role as the important sheepdog on the place. They all owe a great deal to her as well -- if she hadn't helped me to see what a dog can do, I don't think I would have had the patience for some of these young guys.

I wish everyone who starts out in this hobby or sport or vocation could start out with a Molly.

I feel the same way Bill does...Tucker was a godsend for me..he had the sense to take care of me in Novice and the ability to take me all the way to open...and the trainablity to do it in a very short time.

I think it is a VERY delicate line you walk with the Novice dog...they need to be biddable/natural enough for the Novice to handle, while still having the testicular fortitude to hack it in the Open...I cant thank Henry enough for his selling me first Tucker and then his full sister Grace...They have worked their hearts out for me and I am appreciative beyond any words.

I'm not in open yet, not even successful in pro-novice, yet. But I am so thankful for my first Border Collie, Seth. If it wasn't for that dog my life would be totally different. If he hadn't been so capable I'm not sure I would have stuck with it. As it is I owe that dog a lot, and of course his breeder who is one of my best friends. Now that I have him back from the trainer, I can hardly wait to really start trialing seriously.

Joan

Well, I probably started out with absolute worst kind of dog for a novice but she ended up teaching me so much in the long run. She was truly a hard headed dog with more intensity than I was sure I could handle at the time. The dog who really got me going in this though is Zac and he's not what I would probably think of as an ideal novice dog either. He's a very strong dog who's always had to much push. He has taught me more about partnership than any other animal I've been around though. He's willing to lay it on the line each and every time I ask it of him. He's taught me SO much about timing and trust as well. I've been fortunate enough to work livestock all my life though so didn't have two whammies being thrown at me at once.

Now, on the flip side, I've spent the last year watching for the right dog to come along for my 9 year old son who's wanting to get started. I've basically looked for dogs that were quite opposite of Zac. I think he'd learn a lot from a dog more like my nursery dog, Kat. Great feel for their sheep, good pace from the get go, natural but flexible. Basically, just a fairly easy dog to handle. The kind that can do the job at hand without much assistance but is willing to let a person step in with no trouble. This is also the kind of dog that can take him to Open over time if he so chooses to pursue it. BTW, he has started working her and is SO excited!

I think in general, novice dogs that we hope to go on to Open with need to have a lot of heart. They have to put up with our crap as we're learning and continue to respect us despite it.

Laura

Melanie,

Renee and I would say that you'd want a dog that really wants to please you and one that isn't easily stressed. I don't think a novice handler can deal with a very fast/quick dog since you'll need very good timing; one that moves at a more moderate pace will give the novice handler time to think. Some dogs are very keyed into pressure while others are more keyed into balance; I think novice handlers will do better with a dog more keyed into balance.

Every dog has holes in its ability/talent; the key is to find the dogs with holes you're willing to work on and avoid those dogs with holes you are unable or unwilling to work on.

I'm certainly no expert. I haven't figured out for myself what traits I prefer and those I'm unwilling to deal with; these are just my thoughts at my stage of learning. I do find I prefer a very fast/quick dog and we're finding that with our small working fields we need dogs that are natural out runners.

Mark