BC Boards

Calluses on elbows

Not sure how many of you have dealt with calluses on elbows in older dogs since the breed tends to be smaller, but I'm hoping some of you have suggestions. My 11 yo hound/gsp mix has calluses that are getting quite a bit worse on her elbows. Each dog in the house has two beds available to her, but in this heat they are choosing to lay on the hard floors to stay cool. I wonder if I could put some ointment on it that won't hurt her if she licks it. Someone has suggested udder butter to me, and I've read to use neosporin. I just don't want to make her sick. I could also make a dressing and secure it with vet wrap if necessary.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Right now I think it's mostly a cosmetic issue, but I don't want it to become a health issue.

I used to get rescue Collies with concrete calluses sometimes. I used to put Bag Balm in the center of a moleskin corn plaster and stick 'em on. It helped to soften them. Sometimes they went away entirely, but I didn't usually have the dogs long enough for that to happen.

Ditto to the Bag Balm! I've never known them to go away but they can get softened up. The moleskin sounds like an interesting idea!

It keeps the Bag Balm from rubbing off, (and getting things all greasy) and acts as padding too.

• 2 weeks later...

In a pinch, chapstick works to soften the calluses, too and is a little less greasy. I've got two young-ish dogs (under 5), who've developed calluses (despite the many thick, plush dog beds available throughout the house....:rolleyes:) and I've been putting chapstick on them and that has kept them from getting red and raw.

Archived