BC Boards

I have my sheep - No they are not made of gold!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Everyone, I have my sheep!

I am buying 6 totaly dog-broke Kathadin crosses/Kathadin in 2 sets of 3 who have worked together!!!!!!!

The Lady I am buying them from gives lesson in Santa Fe and trials with her dogs! She is reducing her flock due to having lambs, and I just caught her at the right time! She is charging me between 80 and 100 bucks!!!!! Plus she will pick out 3 and 3 that have worked together!!!!! I will be getting them in a week and a half due to the holiday weekend (darn :rolleyes: ).

She will also give me lessons at my place at least once a month!!! And I have people asking me if she would be willing to give them lessons since I am almost right in the middle of town!!!

Like the saying goes:

LIFE IS GOOD

Congrats! I would caution, though, that six sheep that are used a lot are likely to get sour rather quickly (e.g., if you're training on them and also letting others take lessons on them), so you might want to consider adding more as soon as you can afford them.

J.

What I am trying to do is to take 3 ewes and add 6 of my lambs in the roundpen to "train" the lambs. That way I can get my 12 lambs dogbroke and come fall we will know which once are good for working with dogs and who goes down the road so to speak. Any thoughts?

I keep a relatively small flock (currently 10 plus 16 lambs :rolleyes: ) and I do my best to keep them fresh. It's not possible to keep them entirely sheep like, but I've found by keeping them in a larger lot (they have 2 1/2 acres) as opposed to a pen, it makes a night and day difference in attitude. I used to have them in a series of horse corrals, not tiny but much less than they have now and I had trouble with them being sour or obnoxious about draws. I've had them in the larger lot for about four years, I keep ewe lambs every year so I have some of "not quite dead-broke" sheep, and the older ewes do not get sour whether they work in their own lot, in the arena across the way, or the desert that's 1/4 mile walk down the road. I don't let them rush gates, usually use a dog to hold them off their home gate so they don't get the idea that it's a free for all once they get there. I also am careful to not allow over-work or harrassment. The more natural you can keep them - safe pasture or larger lot - I believe they keep a better attitude and also stay more physically fit, so they don't feel tired and sore. I'm sure that helps as much as anything with sour behavior; if I was an out of shape sheep, being worked would be enough to make me really sour on life.

We are real newbies and have St. Croix/Katahdin cross ewes. We don't work the dogs every day; not even once a month. The ewes have been here about 4 years and they are not dog broke yet. Glad you are getting lessons also. Can we come? You are welcome to work ours whenever you and Dawna might be around. So very happy you will have your own sheep! Congrats.

We are real newbies and have St. Croix/Katahdin cross ewes. We don't work the dogs every day; not even once a month. The ewes have been here about 4 years and they are not dog broke yet. Glad you are getting lessons also. Can we come? You are welcome to work ours whenever you and Dawna might be around. So very happy you will have your own sheep! Congrats.

Of course you can come! We are all beginners here, I should be a real blast :rolleyes:

Archived