BC Boards

$250.00 per dog-broke Ewe?????????

No, she told me the SHEEP were trained. She didn't want to ruin the training of her flock and make them useless for her Briard to work. She said if I worked my Border Collie on her sheep that they would be ruined. At the time I only had one dog I was working, and she was very good to her stock.

Sorry, I did not explain it right!

In "Tending" style herding you actually sort of train the sheep :rolleyes:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm generalizing. I've seen a handful of GSD's that I liked very much. In fact, I hope to have another GSD in the next year or two. I haven't seen any briards that I've liked, but have seen a couple of great rotties. And most of the cattle dogs I've seen were like land sharks. Re: briards -- I just don't care for them. The rest, I blame the owners more so than the dogs, no matter what the breed, for the train wrecks and mutilations I've witnessed.

But going back to my original question -- would wanting to buy sheep so that my dogs can be worked be something that would ring legitimate to sheep folk?

Hi Vicki,

it would to me :rolleyes:

Vicki -

If someone wanted to buy my culls as dog training sheep, I would certainly ask more questions -

• --how many sheep do they want to buy? 3 or 4 sheep are really not enough, especially when they say they have 2 or 3 dogs and their friends will also come over to work their dogs
    --how much property do they have
    --are they willing to properly care for the sheep - is it going to be easier to let a sick or injured animal suffer and die because they don't want to invest time & money to treat or euthanize the animal - how many people are going to pay a $100 vet call when they only paid $50-75 for an animal?

So while I wouldn't automatically say no to someone that wanted to buy sheep primarily to work their dogs, I would ask more questions.

gail

Archived