BC Boards

she lives to work

sea4th

Some months ago I posted re: one of my puppy buyers who started her pup at 5 months, which some folks told her it was OK---I thought she should wait. This was the pup that would "take a lickin' & keep on tickin". The dog is now 14 months old and from what I hear, works very nicely. So what's the problem?---that this is all she lives for, that this is a dog who would be happiest living on a 2 foot chain and allowed off to work (acvording to her owner).

My question is, aside from knowing that it's a good part genetics, could what she is seeing be in part starting her so young? The owner was told that even at so young of an age, if they want to work, work them. Is this going to level off, considering the dog is only 14 months old? This dog has done more in her first year than any of my dogs have. I kept a male from that litter, & I don't see the same behavior in him. (Of course, there are a lot of other variables, such as different life styles, different expectations, that have probably shaped the dogs each of us see today).

I want to tell her to hang in there, let the dog mature some more & that it might get better ( the intensity may level off as she matures??), or that I could help her find a home for her where this is all she would be doing, working & not need to fulfill any expectations of being a pet during her down time.

Vicki

I might add, the owner is concerned whether the dog is truly happy. My response was that it's a life's lesson that a dog must learn patience & that it can't work 24/7, or have things provided to it in order to keep it happy, 24/7. The owner is working on the patience thing, but since this dog is so different (her first BC)from what she's had, she's wondering if the dog is truly happy. BTW, she's also fostering a 3 month old male BC from working lines, that is much more laid back than the older bitch, is happy just to be with her, and I guess one just can't help making comparisons.

Vicki

Sounds like my kind of dog!!!! I honestly pick mine based on that criteria...if they aren't constantly getting into sheep, sitting on the end of a chain with their eyes dilated and their nails dug into the ground hyperventilating...they are on the imediate quick sale program...I cant stand a dog who isnt as keen as me...that isnt to say I want them grippy, or manipulative, I just want them balls to the wall keen...if they cant take training and drilling and work all day at a very young age, I just am not interested...I probably like all the wrong things, but I prize dogs that WANT TO at all costs, a good temprament, and heart right down to the ground...I give 110% to our relationship and I expect them to as well...otherwise, I just cant respect them. I must say though, all mine are housedogs and with the exception of one, (who would NEVER housetrain) they all sleep on the bed are marshmallows in the house, and great pets...course as Inci says, they are worked quite a bit and have lots of room to run it all off. Anyway, good luck to your friend!