BC Boards

directions

blackacre

Hmm, must be some dogs being worked or maybe even a trial nobody told me about. (Either way, I hate you.) Otherwise, I KNOW you would have been right there for me with directions.

So, to reiterate, here's what I need: Sherry's to Lori's. Lori's to Sam's. KEEP ME AWAY from Washington and Baltimore.

Thanks ever so,

Andrea

Guest totallyterry2003

We also want to stay away from BIG bridges like the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

Terry's input into what we need in directions.

Andrea may drive Toronto but I am strictly small town. Lots of lanes make me more neurotic than ususal. Many of my friends think that I never fully recovered from getting lost in hazmat hell in Baltimore in rush hour during our last year's excursion.

Ok, I can tell you the way I'd go from Lori's to Sams, but from I don't know the way from Sherry's to Lori's. It takes us about 4 hours to get to Sam's and I believe it takes us 3 hours to get to Lori's. Since we're only 15 min off this route, I'm guessing 7 hours from Lori's to Sam's.

From Lori's go to US15/11 (use Lori's trial directions "from the south")

Take US15/11 south to I81 (near Harrisburg).

Take I81 south to the Harrisburg Bypass (Rt 581, I believe).

Take 581 towards Harrisburg to US15.

Take US15 south through Frederick MD, through Leesburg VA, through Warrenton VA, to US17.

Take US17 south to Fredericksburg VA where you'll get on I95.

Take I95 south to I295 just outside Richmond VA.

Take I295 south to exit 22, New Market Rd east.

I'll let Sam take over from here.

Terry, sorry about the use of I95 and I295 from Fredericksburg to New Market road; it's the only way I know. The traffic there should be ok heading south during the middle of the week. You probably don't want to be there Friday afternoon through late evening (which is when we usually drive it) because the traffic is very heavy then.

Sam is away this week at the shedding clinic, so I'll tell you how to go. New Market Rd. is route 5. Take it toward Williamsburg/James River Plantations (the mileage signs will be for Charles City Courthouse, but you're not going quite that far on New Market Road). Once you pass the entrance for Shirley Plantation (probably about 10 minutes r so from the 295 exit--maybe not quite that long), you'll come to a blinking light at route 106. Turn left on 106 N. Go several miles and look for 604 (Warriner Road) on your left (I think Sam says she's about 5 miles form Shirley Plantation, but it may be a mile or two longer). Turn left on 604. Follow it around a hairpin turn to the left and then a little further down the road is a sharp curve to the right. As soon as you come out of that sharp curve, you'll be going up a slight hill. Look for a little green house on the right. (It's only about a mile or so on 604). Sam's driveway is just (a matter of feet) past that green house. It has fresh gray gravel on it so you won't mistake it for the driveway that goes to the green house. In spring you probably won't be able to see Sam's fields through the trees, but once you follow the driveway past the green house you'll be able to see Sam's houe and fields. Just follow the driveway up to the red gate and let yourself in!

And Mark's right, 95/295 is the best way to go unless there's a major accident, but if you time it to hit there in the middle of the day (or at least be out of Frederciksburg by 3 or so), then you might get lucky! 295 used to be virtually empty, but it's gotten much busier in the past few years.

And even if you decided to stay on 81 to Charlottesville and got on 64 there, you'd still want to get on 295 at Richmond instead of trying to go through town on 64.

Now if you want to take back roads the whole way, I can give you those driections. It will be slower, but you're less likely to have to worry about HazMat and it would be scenic! But beware! In case you couldn't tell from the above directions, I tend to drive by landmarks!

Julie

Thanks for the complete directions Julie.

Actually, it's kind of fun listening to Terry go on about HazMats. She must have ended up in a tunnel somewhere?

You can't send her by roads that are too small either. Last trip she ripped off her side mirror on her new rig coming in to the Paxton-Hills, which resulted in a whole OTHER adventure.

Never a dull moment right T? You don't mind me dissing your driving skills do you?

A.

Good thing Terry doesn't live in Hampton Roads--you can't go anywhere around here without going through a tunnel or crossing a drawbridge (or both).

Is it safe to assume that Terry has never tried to make it in to Don McCaig's? (Sorry, Terry, but I just couldn't resist joining in!)

J.

Guest totallyterry2003

Well dear friends (and I use that word loosely these days) what you say is maybe true.

Mark,

I had forgotten about the ABC trial--thank god for my selective memory but darn you have a good memory. Unless it is $500 or over worth of damage, I now immediately erase the "incident" from my memory.

I also appreciate your concern for me and forewarning me about I-95 and I- 295 which is more concern than a certain Canadian shows. In all honesty, it is the other drivers on the road that you may want to alert when I am passing through.

Julie,

Driving by landmarks sounds like it may be better than driving by touch which is the current method that I use....you know go until you hear the bump, crash or whatever. At the next trial, get with me and explain this driving method cause I try them all.

No, I have not been to Don McCaig's trial but have heard about path getting into it. If I had ever been to his trial, you and everyone else would have vividly remembered my entrance.

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT

I also want to take this time to publically say that I do not need to rope anyone including Scott to drive for me. My friends beg and beg and beg to drive any vehicle that I have. They never get too tired when they driving either. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed Jeanne's eyes drooping and asked if she wanted me to drive. Well, she kept insisting that she wasn't too tired to drive. Must be my charming company.

Although the good handlers don't fear me on the trial field, you should see them cry when I am behind the wheel. Let me tell you, they don't always have nerves of steel. They make fake it on the trial field; but get them in my vehicle and they cry, whine, hold onto the door handle while babbling incoherently like babies. I can personally tell you most of those big hats aint all that tough.

Does any one need a ride to Sherry's trial?

Terry

Guest totallyterry2003

Just read my own post and should have proofed it better but it is so hard to type, drive and post.

Does anyone have any training methods to improve this?

Terry,

when are you installing a large flashing yellow light on your rig? In our country these are usually required to warn other drivers of oncoming dangerous vehicles. Another question I have; is it safer to be a passenger in your vehicle or in another vehicle near you? I know of another handler, where one might argue it's safer to be in another vehicle since passengers (a judge no less) have been known to be hit on the head with large pieces of lumber in her rig.

good lord ppl cant you do without me for a week??? You guys all set on directions??? I just pulled in from a great week in the think tank and I am slam worn out. Let me know if you need more info, but the directions Julie gave appear to be great, course I am half asleep! Nite sam

Hey Ter!

Tell Scott I am bummed I wont get to see him this year and tell him he is welcome to come down, though I doubt he will make it but he is welcome...Anyway, I am so ticked at the timing of my pups and that I wont make Sherry's this year, I have been going every year since she started! Ok now I am really off to bed.....