BC Boards

sheep import

Krisztina

hello all. i was wondering if anyone on the boards could recommend someone who deals with barbados sheep embryos. i have a friend looking to import some. thanks for any information.

k.

Out of curiousity, why? Seems like there are better hair sheep breeds to go through the expense. Although, I do like a little Barb crossed in to keep them sparky :rolleyes:!

Out of curiousity, why? Seems like there are better hair sheep breeds to go through the expense. Although, I do like a little Barb crossed in to keep them sparky :rolleyes:!

To be honest, i'm not sure why he wants barbados. i think he wanted to cross them with easy care. they'd have to be embryos as i don't think he can import otherwise into ireland. i'm certain no one keeps barbados here.

I have seen, with my own incredulous eyes, a Barbados ewe clear a 54 inch fence on a side hill. From the down hill side.

I've also seen one run herself straight into a fence pole when the dog working her had yet to even make contact. The kicker was that she was actually dog broke. It was just the first time she had seen that particular dog, who was a bit on the weak side.

But I don't mind a little Barb crossed into Dorper or Kathadin. I have a couple of older ewes with that and their offspring are nice sheep that will move without getting too doggy, a very important trait when you are trying to teach outruns and driving in very hostile (rocky, thorn-filled and uneven) terrain. I find the Dorpers get too heavy way too fast. They don't have much use for me past puppy sheep and being good producers but the Kathadins crossed with them or a little Barb are useful sheep for quite a bit longer, working-wise.

Archived